Amp won't stay on

Username: Dsx

Ottawa, ON CAN

Post Number: 1
I have a Clarion amp, when I turn on the stereo the amp won't come on? I check all the voltages on the wires(fine), powered up the amp in the house and worked (fine), noticed that when i took the power wire off and took a voltage reading it was 12.8 and rising, when I put the power wire back on the amp it went down to 7.6?, I have a .5 farad cap and thought it might be that but did the same thing when I bypassed it. The wierd thing is that it worked fine 2 weeks ago and it worked in the house on a power supply (with the same current levels), any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 767
Could be a weak battery or alternator.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 832
If you're voltage is dropping that dramatically something ain't right. Try measuring the voltage at the battery with the amp hooked up. If its 12 volts there and 7.6 at the amp(you're not measuring the voltage of your turn-on wire are you?) you've got to have a bad power wire connection somewhere, something to account for that much off a voltage drop.

If for some strange reason you ARE measuring the voltage of your turn-on wire then the voltage drop is a lil more understandable. If this is the case disconnect the remote wire from the amp and try jumping 12 volts from your power wire to the remote input. If that gets it to power up then you may be able to solve you problem using a relay:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F011%5F002%5F013%5F000&product%5Fid=275%2D226

If you have a weak remote signal from your h/u you may not be providing enough voltage to turn on your amp, but using that same signal to trigger a relay should work just fine.

-Fishy

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us