Head unit rca's question

Username: Bobbarker241

New britain, Ct United states

Post Number: 1
I'm new to Car audio systems, and am installing one for the first time. I have installed the amp and speakers for the most part except for the rca's from the head unit to the amp. The head unit is stock from a focus, so it uses a harness to hook up. I need help as to which wires from the harness I need to tap into, or if there is an adapter I can buy to allow me to just use rca plugs. I also believe the car comes with its own amplifier, and I'm not sure if I need to bypass this or what. Any help would be great, thanks.

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
ditch the stock unit or all your effort wont be worthwhile, especially in a ford audio system with adf (anti distortion filter)...the sound will suck so bad you will sh*t yourself. For the record there is a way to tap into the stock line level outs (rca's) IF, it has a stock amplifier, if it does not have a stock amp then you need a line leven inverter, quite possibly the worst ways to hook up a subwoofer system. You will need a wiring diagram from a ford service manual or something that will tell you the wiring.

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
*line level inverter...not leven

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 755
You could spend some money on a "good" LOC,

http://www.davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm

but personally I also think thats money better spent towards an aftermarket h/u especially if your factory unit has equalization circuitry(anti distortion filter) like Nick says. Many auto manufacturers use this method to compensate for inferior speakers. Its the cheapest way for them to make the system sound better and may very well sound awful with good aftermarket drivers(especialy subs) if the lower frequencies have been rolled off to prevent speaker damage.

If you HAVE to have sound now you could get one of the less expensive ones, but realize that even an el cheapo "Wally World" deck w/ preouts may sound a whole lot better.

-Fishy

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
yep, you could head out tonight and pick up a 29 dollar cd player, as long as it has pre-outs then the sound will be 100% better then a stock head unit.

Username: Bobbarker241

New britain, Ct United states

Post Number: 2
Its a 6 cd in dash system with what ford adertised as premium sound, and because I spent all my money on a good amp, I'd have trouble "downgrading", in my opinion, the head unit. therefore I'd prefer to keep the cd player I have.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us