Isaas please help AMP Tuning

Username: Hmpadilla

Post Number: 5
I know someone has all ready asked this question before,but I can't find the thread.I need help with fine tuning an amp after it's been installed.I'm installing a Hifonics ZX8000 5 channel amp in a Chevy Avalanche.The truck has 2 speakers in each door front and rear.I plan on running 1 set of tweets in front to ch1,the second set of tweets to ch2,the first set of mids to ch3,second set to ch4,a pair of 10's to ch5.All pairs will be running at 2 ohms.The amp has adj for hipass v level and hi/full x-over for ch1/2,hi,low,a v level hi/full/bp x-over for ch 3/4 and low pass bass eq a vlevel for ch5.I have no idea how these should be adjusted.And please no comments on the "quality" of my equipment,I'm a poor SOB and can't afford any more :-) Thanks

Post Number: 7
Isaac or anyone with knowledge please help

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2090
Whoa, how big is that amp? Usually 5 or 6 channel amps don't have enough power to drive a sub to a pleasurable level.
Set your level controls according to your HU's preout voltage (most are 4v). Since you're using channels 1 and 2 for tweeters, you can set it to "high pass" or "full". The capacitors on the tweeters will do it's own filtering.
For channels 3 & 4, set the control to high pass and select the frequency to 80Hz or above for mid bass.
For your subs, it's low pass setting with a cut off frequency around 80Hz - 120Hz.
Since your 5 channel amp will be getting it's signal from one HU, make sure all the level controls are identical (4v setting for most).
When you do "find" extra cash down the line, invest in a better amp for powering tweeters and mid bass. You WILL notice a jump in sound quality. The bass is a bit harder to notice.

Post Number: 8
Hey Thanks Isaac amp is rated at 110x4&300x1 @2ohms.I'm guessing my next investment should be in getting rid of the stock speakers Thanks again for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us