Isaac or someone that knows wut theyre talking about.

Silver Member
Username: Joebruce

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 172
Hey I found a website that builds boxes to the subs specs its klausaudio.com. I got all the specs from my subs manual but what should my box be tuned to? My sub is a jl 12w6v2. It asks for the slot port tune and the square inches of the port area. What is the square inches of port area and how do you figure that out?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 115
check the web site owner's manual, i think they give the box specs, just do some math and figure it out from what JL gives you

Silver Member
Username: Minime80

Post Number: 104
What size box are you getting?

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 173
I have all the specs in the maual but it does not say what your box should be tuned to. It gives you dimensions for a sealed and ported but not the tune for the ported. What do you meen wut size box am i getting? Its for a single 12 and after i let that website no how to tune the box they will give me a price and dimensions of my box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Well, the manual for the 12w6v2 suggests a 1.5 cu. ft. ported enclosure with the port area (slot width x slot height) of 18.75 sq. in. (1.5" x 12.5") and a length of 29". Now, just using those numbers I'm getting a tuning of 33.15 Hz for the port.

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 174
Huh? How do you get the tuning of a box with the port dimensions? This stuff confuses me but if its tuned to 33hz wouldnt i be missing out on some low bass or would it be so low that i wouldnt even be able to hear it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Nah, 33 is low enough that you won't be missing anything... 20 is as low as you can hear anyways. I just used WinISD to do the calculations.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
Although, I'm curious why you're going with a ported box... that sub is just begging to be put in a sealed enclosure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Oh I see, you're going for that low end extension. Okay.

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 177
Im going ported cuz i want a litlle more spl than sq but ive heard that the w6v2 is good at both.

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 178
Thats weird how did your post get there before mine? Wasnt yours a response to this "Im going ported cuz i want a litlle more spl than sq but ive heard that the w6v2 is good at both."

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
No, I just went through WinISD with the sealed and ported and compared the two and noticed the extension and figured that's why you were going ported.

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 179
Sorry for all the questions,but wut is extension? Is the lower extension mean more spl or somethin?? Cuz thats wut im after.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
It just means that the response rolls off at a lower frequency (lower F3).

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Here's an example. Notice how the red one goes farther to the left before really starting slope down. That's extension.
http://home.comcast.net/~minime80/response.jpg

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 181
Yea but is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
It's usually a good thing because it means you'll be getting lower frequencies out of the sub.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3514
The W6v2 works very well ported, still retains great SQ. 32-33hz is a good all around frequency for a balance of depth and punchiness, you won't lose a lot of low end, 20hz is what newborn infants can hear, the average human can only really hear to around 25hz, at least until the volume is raised to a super high level.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2018
Sorry I didn't respond TWiZTiD, my internet's been down most of the weekend.
If you have the space in your car, then go ported. You'll get better SPL.
Average human can hear 20Hz bass notes. If you want proof, get a signal generator and set it to 20Hz. On most decent stereo systems, you will hear it.
As you age, like 60+, you tend to lose that ability and hear maybe 35Hz, and also lose out on the high side, 12kHz.
Something interesting, mouse can't hear sounds below 900Hz! Elephants somehow can hear 1Hz bass.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3517
I heard 25hz as a roundabout for most adults (not sure about exact age), of course every source will say differently about it. I can hear down to 20, but I just can't speak for everyone since I don't have their ears, know what I mean?

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 184
According to the subs specs that i give the website,i can get a 32hz or 33hz box so im guessin thats wut jl recommends. Im gonna go with the 32hz box will that give me good spl and decent sq??

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 337
What whould i tune a slot ported box for 2 Jl 13w6v2's??? Jonathan or issac and also whould whould i set the infrasonic filter to on a 1000/1

Nominal Diameter: 13.5 inches (343 mm)
Continuous Power Handling: 500 Watts
Voice Coil: 2.75" diameter, 4-layer, Kapton former
Available Configurations: Dual 4 ohm only
Xmax (one-way, linear): 0.85" (21.6 mm)
Sealed Enclosure Range: 1.0-2.0 cu.ft. (28.3-56.6 liters)
Ported Enclosure Range: 1.5-2.5 cu.ft. (42.5-70.8 liters)
VRC Technology: YES
W-Cone Technology: YES
Elevated Frame Technology: YES
Floating Cone Attach Technology: YES
NeckVent Technology: YES

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 185
Hey mo go to www.klausaudio.com type in the info they ask for and it will tell you wut it should be tuned to. Im guessing it will be around 32hz-33hz somewhere around there.That site is pretty cool they will make you any kind of box made by the subs specs,they also look pretty nice from the pics on there and not a bad price either.

Username: Abew330

Camarillo, Ca Usa

Post Number: 6
at the website where they build u a box u can get a fiberglass box for the same price

Gold Member

Post Number: 2026
I would set infra/sub sonic to 20Hz - 25Hz. If you listen to mostly rap/pop etc, 25 would do. They usually don't contain much deep low bass.
MO, before you go blasing your JL 1000/1 amp, try a little sound frequency test. See if you can hear 20Hz and 20KHz. If you can, you might want to protect your ears. Excessive loud pounding such as SPL setup, will gradually lessen your hearing senses.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2027
Replace "lessen" with "degrade". Delivers more clear message.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us