I need help installing my amp!:-(

Username: Bryan10418

Post Number: 1
Ok, i have everything set up... I have power running to the amp, I have the remote wire connected to my head unit, the RCA cables connected, the sub connected, and the ground connected... and surfaced on a clean (sanded) metal surface... but the amp wont power up while my ground is connected for some reason.... when i disconnect my ground... then my amp Powers up ( the light comes on)... but either way my sub isnt working... anyone know whats wrong?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1964
Okay, that doesn't make any sense. There shouldn't be any power without ground. Sounds like you have ground/wire issue.
Disconnect all wires and cables on the amp. Now connect the pos and ground only. See if the amp powers on. If not, take your remote wire and touch the pos terminal. It should cause the amp to power up. If it does, then your amp and the power wires are fine.
If however, it doesn't power up, then get a DMM and measure the voltage across the pos and ground wire. See if there's any power. If there is, then measure the pos and the amp's casing. If you see voltage, then the amp's case is grounded.
Unscrew the amp from wherever it's screwed into and place it on something that's not touching the car's chassis. Now connect the pos and ground to the amp and redo the test.

abraham
Unregistered guest
well put isaac
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us