What amp do I need??

Username: Antiduke

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, I stumled upon this site the other day and there is some great information here!

I am in the process of building a system for my miata and have everything except the amp. I have a single Image Dynamic(IDQ10)which is 2 ohm and 250 watts rms.

Specs here: http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/website/tech/data_sheet_idq10d2v2.html

I also have 2 bass shakers that are 50 watts peak and are 4 ohm. I was hoping to run all these off of one 4 channel amplifier which would mean I would need an amp that is 2 ohm stable in bridged mode, correct? Also, is it possible to use a 2 channel amp and have one channel going to the sub and then split the second channel to the shakers? I am by no means an audiophile so this may be a stupid question. So far I have looked at the Phoenix Gold x100.4 but it is slightly out of my price range at the moment (preferrably around 200 bucks). Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance,
Antiduke

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1940
You are trying to cut corners. If sound quality is what you're after, then save up some money. If all you want is just a sound, then there are few options.
For around $150, you can look at Audiobahn's Intake series amp. MTX might have an amp around $200 also.
Just curious, why would you want a bass shaker? Why not produce the effect with a real sub and amp combo?

Username: Antiduke

Post Number: 2
As I said, this system is going in a mazda miata.. BARELY room for this 10" sub. And I was skeptical about the bass shakers at first, but when I hooked them up to a friends amp, these things are really cool. They really did make it "sound" like there is a sub in his truck. And I'm not really trying to "cut corners." I'm just looking for a solution that is cheaper.. if it doesn't exist then I will just have to wait.
I'm not seeing any of Audiobahn's 4 channel intake series amps that are 2 ohm stable in bridged mode. The High Current A4075HCT will but it is around 400 bucks.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1947
Look at PPI's PC/PCX series amp on eBay. Some of them are 2ohms stable. If you get a mono amp that's 1ohm stable, you should be able to power all with one amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us