Finnaly, something good out of France!

beechairplanes
Unregistered guest
Okay, I know you guys know about the brand focal. Ive been told it was great, so I bought them. 4 6 1/2 component set door speakers from the polyglass line. gimme the scoop. Ive already installed them a year ago but I havent put an amp to them yet. I just want to know what to expect or anticipate when I do give them power. My 4 volt preout deck probably isnt doing them justice. It sonds good but I want more. i just dont hear much about them and i dont know why. They were freekin expensive to. 290.00 a pair

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1922
Beechairplanes, depending on what model you bought, those speakers will need at least 50w rms to start before you'll hear anything great.
Your HU is probably supplying 15w - 20w rms the most. Way under powering them.
If you get a good amp, the sound improvement will be night and day. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy cheap amps. Then you're back to square one.

Bronze Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 66
focal makes some of the finest home speakers out so I bet there good, but like isaac said do not skimp on the amp

beechairplanes
Unregistered guest
hey Isaac, Im the same guy with the alphasonik 5 channel. I hope Im not making a mistake with it. If the numbers are true for the amp, I will be giving each speaker 75watts rms at 4 ohms each witch is what the speakers are rated at. 120 rms at 2 ohm seems a little much. Can I still expect a night and day difference?

beechairplanes
Unregistered guest
p.s. the speakers are the midlevel quality for the focal. Polyglass line. the best being the utopia and the entry level being the acsess line.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1931
Alphasonik's current amps are very much like Audiobahn. They are decent to good. When I tested them against PPI's Art series amp, it was a bit disappointing. But then again, you do get what you pay for. No manufacturer will make $1000 amp and sell it for $150. Only Sony and Pyramid will try and fool you with that marketing scam.
You will get some good result compared to HU, but nothing that will take your breath away. For that, you will need great amp and components. What I mean by that is, some music cds, you will be able to hear a singer taking breaths between notes. It will be very clear. The higher quality amp you get, the more details like that you will notice in the background.
This is why once you go quality, you can't go back.

beechairplanes
Unregistered guest
Hey Isaac, thanks for all your help. Im still green when it comes to most of this stuff but I do know that I like music and I want it to sound real good. my buddy had told me to get a ppi 6 channel for a year now. I just couldnt afford it. Hopefully my inexperince will still allow me to enjoy the setup that I have.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1952
Actually PPI's 6 channel isn't that great. It only has 4 rca inputs. This means 2 channels are using the same 2 rca plugs. Probably the rear channels.
You'll be better off purchasing 4 channel and a 2nd amp.
I am sure you'll enjoy it. If however, you do get tired of it in the future, you know exactly which component to upgrade.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us