How to install Amp to stock radio.

Username: Slymball

FL

Post Number: 1
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram. I know how to hook up the remote wire but how do i hook up the amp to the radio? Will i need any special attachments? How difficult is this going to be?

Bronze Member
Username: Djshyper

Dalmeny, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 11
k wat u have to do is from the 2 rear speakers you run a positive and negative off both speakers and change them into rcas and plug em into the amp it will not have the same quality as if u had a sub out on our deck but that is one way i know of of hooking an amp up to a stock stereo without the sub out

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
line level inverter is the little device you need, unless your stock head unit has RCA outputs?

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
By the way; A line level inverter hooks up to your rear speaker wires (left and right) and will convert that to RCA level outputs. If your amp has a High level input then you dont need a line level inverter. Heres some advice that you will appreciate if you follow it: BUY AN AFTERMARKET HEADUNIT! Stock head units are booring, weak, ugly, and downright awfull! An amplifier will only amplify the poor sound. You can get a half decent cd deck for 100 bucks and you wont regret it. Anoother 20-50 bucks for an install kit and your in good shape.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 672
Yep, and I've seen nothing good come from a line out converter, either in an amp(hi level inputs) or not. LOC's typically add distortion and reduce frequency response.

-Fishy

Username: Nutshmeg

Post Number: 7
It's not always so easy to yank the stock deck when there are steering wheel controls, etc involved, and a stock deck makes your car less interesting to the browsing car thief. I've installed several Audiolink and Scosche line level adapters over the years to add a sub or two to a stock system and they work great, you have to play with the gain to match the sound levels of the sub and the stock speaks, but it's not that big a deal.

This place claims "competition quality" adapters and they are only $35 bucks.

http://www.davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm

Scosche has one for $11.00 P/N LOC500B

http://www.scosche.com/scosche.aspx?CategoryID=36

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 546
I agree with fishy here, even audio control makes line out converters, but they still aren't as good as an aftermarket deck. As for the steering wheel controls, pac audio makes adapters that are very easy to tie in, so you can keep all your controls.

www.pacaudio.com

Post Number: 9
Ever install any of PAC's stuff? I contacted them about an aux input adapter they make for GM in dash CD changers, the email support was EXCELLENT, but I haven't purchased the adapter yet to see how it works.

Post Number: 10
The link to their site is:

http://www.pac-audio.com

LMAO!

nick_sq
Unregistered guest
If you are dealing with a stock headunit with a clean power output, bu i know most GM delco and Ford systems have anti distortion filters, causing bass to decrease while volume increases...brilliant little idea (not) ...I have installed about 1 dozen line level inverters for customers...none of them were satisfying to my ears to say the least..the bass was gurgled and distorted (no matter how much i tried to match the gains) and the the overall system actually sounded worse then when it was stock...yeah a bit more bass..but everything else went to crap. Just a thaught...does a dodge ram stock deck have RCA level outputs?

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 556
yeah I forgot the - in my link

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 722
This might be good:

http://www.jlaudio.com/press/CleanSweep05.html

but expect to pay 400 smackers for it when it comes out(April/May?) and you'll only be able to utilize steering wheel controls if you don't mind dealing with the equalization/volume situation associated with some factory h/u's. Not taking advantage of the Clean Sweep's "automatic" EQ kind of defeats the whole purpose(and cost) of the thing IMO.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us