How do i set gains on my amps???

Anonymous

ok....i know what the gains do and all (match the input level) but what do i set the stuff on my HU to when setting the gains???

Do i put everythig to -6 (on a +6 to -6 scale) on the HU adn turn off the LOUD feature then put the HU to 3/4 volume???

also what should i set the bass boost on my amp to while setting the gain??

help!?

Bronze Member
Username: Bass_lover

Post Number: 23
Ok this is all really up to you and your ears but have the gain on the amp 3 quarters up if there is a low pass turn it half way for a nice kicky bass. Once that is done turn your car on sit in the drivers seat and play with the head units settings (usually bass -1 treble -1) And you shouldnt have to put your bass boost on unless you want distortion but if you insist have it a quarter turned. And volume is really up to you.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1284
set everything flat (zero)
then use these guides to setting gains:
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=34.topic

Anonymous

after i set the gains can i turn the HU's EQ back up ....it runs my highs and mids???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1304
sure

Silver Member
Username: Newb

Post Number: 122
hi guys...gotta question...
i did have my amp and sub professionally installed but im not sure it looks right. it a 2 chan amp bridged driving the sub. the low pass is set to about 150(isnt it supposed to be set around 50?) i dont know if the high pass matters when it driving a sub but its set to 65(im assuming these settings r hertz units) level is set to 100mv. bass boost was set at the max(+18db). actually the balance sounded a lot better after i turned down the bass boost(i can actually hear my mids and highs and i dont have to have my fade all the way to the front)
but this is the same guy that told me he had my 8ohm dvc sub running at 3 ohms(not sure if thats possible...i thought it had to be 4,8,or16 for a single 8ohm dvc)

Silver Member
Username: Tikolx333

Post Number: 118
IT CANT BE AT 3 YOU AMP WOULD SHUT OF IF YOUR SUB IS DVC 8 THEN IT CAN BE WIRED TO 16 OR 4 OHM. YOUR INSTALLER SOUNDS LIKE A MORON I WOULD GO TO SOMEONE ELSE.

Anonymous

yep...your installer was a tard!!!

a blind-mute-deaf guy could have done better!!!

go to someone else...oh...and demand your $$$ back because that is a crap install!!!

george
Unregistered guest
lets say there is an amp that is putting out 500w rms, like the 500/1 (even though its actaully more), now lets say its powering a sub but the volume is really low. is the amp still putting out 500w even though its obvious that the sub is not getting that 500w?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1423
no.
every time you increase the volume +3dB you double the amount of power the amp is putting out.
every audible doubling in volume is ten times the power.
for a JL 500/1, that'd be 500Wrms (continuous) at max output.
at low volume, the amplifier may only draw, say, 10A of current, instead of it's max draw of, say, 75A.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us