One amp reated quetion

bass lover
Unregistered guest
my amp just went to protection mode for nothing.
if an amp goes to protection mode is there any reset button to be pressed in order for the amp to come out of protection mode? or just check ground, speaker or positive wires (uninstall and then install again properly ) and amp automatically becomes normal again?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1808
If an amp goes into protection mode, chances are something's overloading it. Unhook all cables and wires. Then start with bare minimum, power wires. Take your remote wire and connect it to the pos. See if that turns on the amp. If it still goes into protection without any load, then your amp is fried. It'll need fixing.
If it passes that test, then connect your rca cables and test it again. It should help you find the problem.
Do check all your speaker wires/power wires/rca cables etc. Some of them could've gotten loose and shorted out.

bass lover
Unregistered guest
ok so you are saying un hook all cables. ok, then connect ground or don't connect ground? then take the remote wire and connect it to positive(12v) terminal? can u make it step by step. i would appreciate that. thanks issac.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1818
Start with the basics. Unhook all wires and cables except ground and pos. Then attach the remote wire to the pos. It should turn on the amp. If it's not in protected mode, then go on with the other tests stated above. If it stays in protected mode, then you likely have an amp problem.
Also make sure you are getting 12v.

Bronze Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 12
whats your setup isaac?

bass lover
Unregistered guest
hey issac, i tried to check my amp. when i attach the remote wire to the pos, the protection goes off but amp doesn't turn on. so, i think it's fried. ok,so i need an amp and i don't have too much money to spend. so, i can only spend $100 for my new amp. surfed on ebay and came up with couple of amp. i need 500 to 600 RMS at 2 ohm. help me choose and thanks for you help issac.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797%26item%3D5760970558 %26

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797%26item%3D5760110900 %26

Gold Member

Post Number: 1951
Basslover, the link doesn't work. What is it that you're looking at? Brand/model.

bass lover
Unregistered guest
here you go issac:

ebay item no. 5760970558

ebay item no. 5760110900

Gold Member

Post Number: 1965
Okay bass lover, don't buy either of them. Both garbage. The first one is Boss amp. They only listed power, SN ratio and THD. Those numbers by themselves mean nothing. You have no idea how they measured them.
Second of all, they're both refurbished, meaning B stock. You know Boss amps will break down very easily right? So why would you buy one that was already broken? Bad sign.
The second item only lists max power. 300w max @ 4 ohms could be 70w rms or less. Some use a factor of 10. So 300w could be 30w. Have you ever heard of 30w class d amp? I am sure I don't have to explain how bad it is.
If you're really tight on cash, try Audiobahn's Intake series A8000T. It costs $130-$150 brand new and works well. I've tested the Intake series amp and it performed well. In fact the amp went through ice storm/fog/humidity and survived. I had it on when it was -25. The case was covered with frost. It took few mins to warm up but it worked.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1966
Okay bass lover, don't buy either of them. Both garbage. The first one is Boss amp. They only listed power, SN ratio and THD. Those numbers by themselves mean nothing. You have no idea how they measured them.
Second of all, they're both refurbished, meaning B stock. You know Boss amps will break down very easily right? So why would you buy one that was already broken? Bad sign.
The second item only lists max power. 300w max @ 4 ohms could be 70w rms or less. Some use a factor of 10. So 300w could be 30w. Have you ever heard of 30w class d amp? I am sure I don't have to explain how bad it is.
If you're really tight on cash, try Audiobahn's Intake series A8000T. It costs $130-$150 brand new and works well. I've tested the Intake series amp and it performed well. In fact the amp went through ice storm/fog/humidity and survived. I had it on when it was -25. The case was covered with frost. It took few mins to warm up but it worked.

bass lover
Unregistered guest
hey issac, i used to think of audiobahn are very good. but the amp i have right now in protection mode is an audiobahn a1801t. so, i am kind of shaky about buying another audiobahn. i was looking toward audovox though. my budget is tight at $100. if i buy a800t with shipping it would cost me about 180.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1967
Okay, it'll be hard finding a decent amp for $100.
A8000T/A8002T from Audiobahn were good models to try. I know they have good history. Since you didn't have much luck with Audiobahn, maybe you'll have better luck with a different brand. Don't forget to look at PPI/MTX and Alphasonik.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1968
Okay, it'll be hard finding a decent amp for $100.
A8000T/A8002T from Audiobahn were good models to try. I know they have good history. Since you didn't have much luck with Audiobahn, maybe you'll have better luck with a different brand. Don't forget to look at PPI/MTX and Alphasonik.

bass lover
Unregistered guest
wish i had the money for A8000t. i will tell you this though -- before my audiobahn went to protection mode, it used to pound the crap out of my subs. i was very satisfied with it. but money is the real issue here. how about this one issac:

ebay item: 5760046659 (at least with RMS rating)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1969
That item looks better in numbers compared to your other one.
However, they're also lying about the power. If you look at the fuse size, there is no way it'll give you 1200w (600w rms).
You could give it a try, doesn't sound that bad. What about some Kenwood amps? I'd never recommend them but they do function for a low price. I have used and tested Jensen amp 4125 model. It took all kinds of abuse and still worked. It was 320-375w rms. You might be able to pick one up for $80 or less.

bass lover
Unregistered guest
yes you are right. By looking at the fuse size i can see i will be getting close to 480- 500 RMS which is enough for me though. I would love to buy that audiobahn you recommended but (150 +30 shipping + 20 extended warranty will hit me close to $200) money is the issue. but with this, it's about (90+15 ship +10 = $115 with extended warranty). I think i will give this a try. i will let you know though how this amp sounds compared to A1801t (both have same fuse rating. Thanks Issac.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us