To many watts?!

Bronze Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 29
just a quick question. if my components are 75w rms with 225w max. would an amp that puts out 111w rms be to much? i've been told the speakers will only draw what they need, unless they amount of watts is overwhelming. what do you guys think? thanks.

goon

Bronze Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 67
As long as u keep ur gains checked, they'll be fine. What kind'a comps?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
infinity ref 5000cs...i want kappas, but no money as of yet. explain keeping my gains in check.

goon

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31

Bronze Member
Username: Minime80

Post Number: 72
Gain is kinda like volume, but on the amp.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1840
Let me correct you Nick Shoe before Jonathan reads this post and start using profanity.
The gain on the amp is not a volume control. It is used to match the voltage on the amp's input to HU's rca preouts. What this does is allow the amp to reach is maximum power output level when it receives the set voltage.
If you set the gain higher, then the amp will reach the clipping level that much faster. And you know that clipping will cause damage to speakers and amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
so how do you measure the gain from the amp? like how do you know where to set it? thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1596
You listen to it. Set the headunit at like half, 2/3's, can't remember?? Then you turn the amp gain all the way down, and start slowly turning it up untill it sounds the best, least distortion. Might take a little while to match it correctly. And if it's turned all the way up then somethings not right.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1853
A quicker way is to use the owner's manual. It'll tell you exactly what the HU's preout voltage is. Then set your amp according to it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
thank you sirs...you've helped a bunch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us