WHY DOES IT MARK LOW VOLTAGE??

raymond bueno
Unregistered guest
i got a audiobahn 2601q amp in my car..runnin off of 8 gauge wire ...and for some reason everytime it HITS..it marks "low" on the volt meter...even when its not hitting the hardest, it still drops to like 11 volts or even 10 with the car running! will a capacitor help this problem?

Bronze Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 57
What is the RMS of the subs and amp?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7476
a larger alternator will help that problem.

RAYMOND BUENO
Unregistered guest
im only gettin 420 watts RMS out of the amp....so its not too much power....im guessing maybe a bigger alternator or perhaps battery??? ive also noticed that since the setup....my windows are slow to open/close and the windows even take up enough power to dim my headlights when i open/close them. so something is definately wrong....if its the alternator..how do i get a LARGER one? doesnt it only call for one kind of alternator? i feel stupid cuz i dont know anything about cars..but hey..yall guys are here to help right? lol

Bronze Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 61
4alterstart.com Also may want to invest in a bigger/better battery. Not necessarily an Optima RED top or yellow top, but at least one with high CCA(cold cranking amps)

RAYMOND BUENO
Unregistered guest
does this sound like what the problem probably is??? also....does getting the right amount of volts to the amp make a big difference on the power it produces?

nick_sq
Unregistered guest
sounds like your stock altenator is about to die. You need to fix it ASAP or you will be dead on the side of the road. I wouldn't worry about a 'bigger' altenator, just get that one rebuilt..it sounds like the amp is not getting enough power because the altenator is fried. Whats the fuse rating on that amp?

Username: Skaman272

Post Number: 8
sounds like an alternator problem, it also wouldn't hurt to get a cap, for that amp you can get away with a .5 Farad, it's not NEEDED but will stiffen evrything up a bit, and take stress off the alternator.

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
By the way...getting your altenator rebuilt is not expensive...about 50 bucks. Bring it to a garage and get them to confirm your altenator is not charging properly...Your amp will probably have plenty of power when the altenator is working properly, so dont get a bigger one. If you are getting low volts and your windows are slow...it will not be long before the car dies totally from loss of power. get er' fixed!

RAYMOND BUENO
Unregistered guest
thanks....im gonna try that this week...i hope thats all it is...cuz i dont wanna have to buy a new alternator! cuz i just bought the battery about 7 months ago....the fuse rating on the amp btw is 40
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us