What kind of alternator

Username: Extralils

Post Number: 4
does anybody know how many amps a stock alternator for a 2002 chevy cavalier has. im getting two mtx 10" 9500 series subs and a mtx thunder 1501d amp, im sure ill need to upgrade my alt but i was wondering what kind of alt i would need and how many amps. and if you know the pricing of that alt.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1337
Your alot should be between 80 - 105, it depends on which engine you have.

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
a safe bet is 100A...you wont quite need to upgrade the altenator because your not quite over the chaging systems limits, but in you case a cap is a good idea, if you get a bigger amp, a cap wont help you, you will need an altenator.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 139
Wait a minute, he gets a 1500W amp and he doesn't need a new alt an he has a Cavalier. I want a 1200W JBL amp, and I need a new alt? Something is fishy here.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1354
Well, first off that amp only puts out 1500 watts at 14 volts. More like 1000 at 2 ohms. He still should get a new alt, 150 would be safe. I can assure you he will notice dimming problems if he runs the 1501D with his stock alt.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 146
Well how about my Audiobahn A8000T? It's only 400RMS @ 4ohms, and 800RMS @ 2ohms. I did a little math according to CC's site. Correct me if I'm wrong. They said to push a 4000W amp it takes 286 amperes of power. Well my 800W is 1/5 of that, so my amp would require 1/5 the power correct? Approx. 57.2 Amperes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us