Alternator question

Bronze Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 17
My alternator is a stock alternator, 90amps I believe. Would this be enough to run two kappa perfects 12" with an Infinity 1520a running it as a 4ohm load of 850watts? i would really try to avoid getting a new alternator, but if i must...i will. what are the reprocusions of not getting a new one and using the old one? thanks for the help guys. you all are teaching me a lot.

goon

Bronze Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 29
850 watts rms / 12 volts = 71 amps being pulled
you should be ok, but might be pushing it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
would a capacitor help the problem?

Bronze Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 33
no, a capacitor won't solve a lack of power problem, only an alternator will. a capacitor just provides power really quickly and at a slightly higher voltage making your amp respond quicker and put out a lil more power.

i only had a 75 amp alternator and was pulling around 60 amps with my 2 amps and i didn't have any problems. i've since upgraded my system and alternator.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
thanks for the info, it's appreciated. ill keep my alternator, and if i have problems, i will upgrade. it's worth it if i have to i guess.

goon

Bronze Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 38
not a problem, but remember, if your alternator does screw up eventually, it can screw up your battery too, so you'll have to replace both. just something to keep in mind if you got a tight budget.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us