OMG!!!...i'm bout to die!...I smoked my amp! help me...anyone please...

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 395
i bout to go crazy...i just smoked my jbl bp1200.1!

i just build a sealed box for my SX15 and i was driving back from a friends house...i blew my main fuse at the batt...so i figured, "ok...i knew that 60A fuse wouldnt last long on the bp1200.1" (a 60a was all i had to put in the fuse block when i wired the amp back up.

i got back to the dorm and put another 60A in...i turned the key...and poof! smoke!...OMG!

Please, some tell where to find someone in northern louisiana that works on amp! (yea..i know there prolly isnt anyone) the amp is in warranty, but it would take more than the week and a half i have to get it back...mardi gras nats are the 12-13!

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 973
umm i know a place called cia engineering, they did mine for 55 bucks plus shipping and parts. email is ciabusiness@netzero.com awesome people work very fast too. they are inPA though...:-( sorry its been 7 days since i sent mine in if that and i get it back tomorrow...

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 396
I figure i'm pretty much S.O.L. if i cant find a replacement for the comp in New Orleans.

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 986
just borrow one of your friends, do yo9u have friends that are in to car audio with a BIG ENOUGH AMP?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1660
Just how sure are you that the problem is with the amp? Do you have a circuit breaker?
Try this, take the amp and connect it to the battery via circuit breaker (don't use your existing power wires). Make sure there is no input connected to the amp. With the pos and neg connected, see if the breaker trips. If not, then connect the remote wire to the pos. Now check the breaker. If the amp turns on with the breaker still intact, then the amp is good.
You could have a short somewhere that's causing the amp blow the fuses.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 397
the amp did just blow a fuse....the amp smoked!

i opened it and i think that a resistor burned...its a resistor right next to the "box" next to the speaker outs...also, the "box" has part of the plastic on in melted.

i had 14V of steady current going to the amp...and i was only letting the amp put out 20-24V to the sub...it just smoked! (@1ohm)

i'm taking it to a repair shop i heard about right now...i hope they work on JLB amps!!!

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 398
Well...i went to the repair shop and they wont do repairs on JBL amps. i spent half the day driving around monroe, looking for a shop that would...no such luck!

The amp that smoked wont even turn on...i get current to the power, ground, and REM...but the amp is officially fried. (yippy...) its under warranty, but its gonna take bout 4weeks for JBL to fix it.

A freind of mine has a bp1200.1 just like mine, and he is gonna let me use it at mardi gras nats. (as a matter of fact, we bought the amps at the same time) I just wont get to go to the shop in ruston to use their mic and find my resonance freq., looks like i'll just be burping at 48hz like before. well....if i do 142db i'll be happy.

Looks like i'll get to compete at MGN's after all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us