4 ch amp or 2 channel amp

Username: Hpman2474

Post Number: 1
im looking at this package from crutchfield. http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/Prodview.asp?readmore=true&g=20 8250&I=236TP12X2

the only thing that I dont understand is that it comes with 2 subs and a 2 channel amp. I thought that you could only power 1 sub with a 2 channel amp and that to power 2 subs you'd have to have a 4 channel amp. The crutchfield advisor site even says this:
"There are several ways to configure most car stereo systems. Generally speaking, you can use a 2-channel amp for powering 2 speakers or a subwoofer. Similarly, a 4-channel amp will drive 4 speakers, 2 subs, or 2 speakers and a single sub. "

So will this 2 ch amp power both subs or not, and I woulndt mind you alls opinion on this package as well.

Thanks

Username: Hitman5645

Post Number: 4
I have a 4 channel on my 2 12 inch subs now but I've had a 2 channel running and I just bridged both subs to both channel, and wow did they bump, but I fried it haha, and now I run 4 channel, but I think I fried that too, if u read my post, : ) . I am about to get a 1000 watt 2 channel amp, cause I like how it puts all its power into the 2 channels instead of having 4 channels and only using 2. but thats just me. but what ever your gona do, its not gona be enough.

Bronze Member
Username: Tragedy

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 21
If i am looking at the same page you linked correctly both subs are powered off a mono channel amp (meaning 1 channel). As far as amplifiers are concerned there are several options in how to power subwoofers. The main concern is to make sure the overall ohm load is stable with the amp. In this case its a package deal and the amp is already included so there should be no worries. When the advisor speaks about the 2ch amp "generally speaking" will power 2 speakers or a subwoofer, it is saying that out of whats most common. Most two channels amplifiers are not used to power two subwoofers but are used to power 1 subwoofer bridged (combining left of one channel and right of the other) effectively in most cases doubling the power to one load. But that doesnt mean it cant power two with lower power. As far as the package is concerned, i have never been a fan of MTX but its all about what you want and your price range. For $270 that it costs, you probably could put something togther better.

Username: Hpman2474

Post Number: 4
what would you recommend for under 300 that i could get better?

nick_sq
Unregistered guest
wow dude u really got no clue! lol
1 channel (mono) amps are the best for running subs!...Stereo (2 channel amps) can run 2 subs stereo, or bridge to 1 channel and run 1 sub...4 channel amps can run 4 speakers (or subs) in 4 chaanel mode, or is most cases 4 channels can be bridged to 2 channels to run 2 subs. 4 channel amps suck for subs to say the least...2 channel is better 1 channel is best...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1647
Patrick, that package is not bad for starters. Maybe in few years, you'll want to upgrade. In the meantime, buy a 4gauge or lower power wiring kit. Last thing you want to do in the future is to redo them.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 19
QUESTION!: Ok, I looked at the Kenwood Excelon KAC-X811D, and it claimed to be mono, but had 2 channels! Same as with all the other Kenwood Mono amps. Now, I decided on the Audiobahn or MTX amp, but it is my presumtion that you only need 1X1 Subwoofer Mono amp to power 2 subs! That's if you are willing to wire in parallel. Is there some reason as to why I can't do that?

Nick_SQ
Unregistered guest
It is a mono amp, it just has 2 output terminals...in reality these terminals are just wired together inside the amp to allow more places to hook up subs to the same channel. It also looks better than putting 2 and 3 and 4 sets of speaker wires on the same terminals.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us