@@@@@ How big of a CAPACITOR & ALTERNATOR do I need?@@@@@@

Username: Sexyguy

Post Number: 3
I'm working on my project setting up a JL Audio 1000/1 mono amp & a 13W7 Sub on my 2003 Honda, I originally have a JL 500/1 & 2 Kicker CompVRs, a 1.2 farad Phoenix capacitor, and factory alternator & audio. I asked my local audio shop, they said that the cap i have is generic I need a bigger cap, they said a 3.0 farad. My question is do i need that big of a cap, 3.0 farad? I remember i read an article said that an 500 watt amp needs at least .5 farad, an 1000 watt amp needs 1 farad then? Do i really need that big, 3.0 farad? what kind of good brands are out there?

I know the JL audio 1000 needs alot of power, what alternator will best fit this amp? how to chooose one?

Many thanks!

Post Number: 4
is an alternator and a battery basiclly mean the same thing?

Silver Member
Username: Rob315

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 170
lol...not even close...1 makes power and the other stores it..and usually its 1 cap per 1000watts...so you should be good...and remember a cap is a cap is a cap...they are all 1 farad..unless its a larger cap lol.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 379
hey man,

For that 1000/1 i would go w/ about a 180A alt unless you are planning on putting in an amp for mids and highs...then i would say about a 200A. The 180A will prolly do ya if you are just gonna run the 1000/1. Dont bother w/ getting a bigger cap. Caps have their purposes, but obviously the shop you talked to doesnt know what that purpose is...lol

you can find a 180A alt for about $240 shipped at alterstart.com. (and you get a life-time warranty) If i were you i would get the alt and keep the cap you have already.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1192
with that car you might be able to get away witha 150 amp. Under normal conditions marshall is right 180 would be good but those Honda's really dont take much current to run. The alternators are small to begin with. See what the price difference is between a 150 & a 180 and go from there. remember it wont hurt anything by going bigger. You dont need a cap get rid of it. Itr is only using up more of your power. With that setup and a new alt you will be just fine:-)

Post Number: 5
To marshall white, thanks for your reply! You right, i'm deciding to put like a JL Audio 300/4 for my highs. sorry man, I'm a new bee here. is Alternator and Battery essentially mean the same thing? I seen pics. It ain't like it. Does it mean i have to replace both? and the wire?

recall the cap i have, it's a Phoenix Digital 1.2, the shop said it's a fake one, cuz it digit indicator doesn't fluctuate alot(when my two Kicker are punching, it goes about 11-13, when the system is off, it stays around 12. Is this what it suppose to do?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1198
yes you dont want it fluctuating any more then that. You DO NOT NEED A CAP. get a alt and a new battery Optima red or yellow top and you will be more then fine.

Post Number: 6
is the alternator easy to install? or professional skills required? new cable the alt/battery?

Post Number: 7
will just replacing a new Optima red do it? Without changing an alt?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1210
are you handy or a sally? If you know where your alternator is on your car get under and look at it. I would give it a 3 on a scale from 1-10. While you are under there take a look at your alt ground and change it out for a 4 guage wire. also the wire from your battery change that two a 4 guage wire. its all pretty easy if you have any handiness in you. If you dont want to change all the grounds bring it to your local shop and I am sure they would be more then happy to do it for you just make sure it isnt best buy or circuit sh!tty.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 380
no problem man...your welcome.

caps have their uses but its kinda hard to explain...glasswolf did a big right-up on charging systems a while back, but i lost the link...james do you have that link?

like James says...installing an alt on MOST vehicles is pretty easy, but some vehicles are a little more difficult, like on as small imports and such. they will prolly install an alt at a place like napa or autozone. make sure you start out by getting a bigger alt. and 4ga. wires for the batt. then prolly a new batt. you may be able to get away w/ your stock batt. if you get the new alt.

oh...any if you are gonna use a 300/4 along w/ that 1000/1, i would definitly get bout a 180A alt.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1238
yeah its a must. I would even go 200.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 901
Yeah. How big of a fuse is on that 1000/1? 80 - 100 amp?

Post Number: 8
im not sure, whatever that comes with amp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us