Your opinions please . . . US Amps DE-1000

Bronze Member
Username: Bdonkersgoed

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 85
What do you guys think of the US Amps DE-1000? What do you think of US Amps in general? Is there a similar amp (in it's price range) that you would recommnend in it's place?

This amp will be used to power my SWX-1242 12" Type X Alpine subwoofer, and controlled by my Alpine CDA-9835.

Also, does anyone know where the list is that details awesome, good, bad, and ugly amp and subwoofer manufacturers? I thought it was on this board somewhere . . .

Thanks,
Bryan

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1171
that is a great amp I love it. Great deck as well and good sub too that will all sound very nice together.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 86
Thanks James :-)

I may be picking one up this week if it all works out.

Do you know where I can find a list of awesome, good, bad, and ugly car audio manufacturers? I am trying and trying to find it . . .

Thanks,
Bryan

Silver Member
Username: Avalanche

Post Number: 126
US Amps are great pieces of equipment. It will not let you down and will probably last you for years to come. Just give it the power that it needs and have it installed right. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Rob315

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 171
http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=

Silver Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 172
oops...that links beat..hang on ill get another one

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 87
Yeah, that is the link that I keep getting when I search :-(

I would really like to see that list again . . . It is good for getting ideas of manufacturers that I would have otherwise maybe never thought of . . .

Thanks,
Bryan

Silver Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 180
try glassmans custom forum...i think its there

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 88
Also, what do you guys think of the Elemental Designs Nine.1 amplifier? Is it better or worse than the DE-1000?

I could have got the Nine.1 and two 13OV.2s . . . maybe I should have?

Regards,
Bryan

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1188
that US amps is much better then the ED nine.1 although that ED is a nice amp too, but not as good as the US.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 89
Thanks Rob!

I found a link to the desired site in the "Links" section of Glasswolf's personal website :-) Just what I was looking for :-)

James,
So far I am leaning towards the US Amps DE-1000. Some people say it is a disadvantage that it is digital, but don't explain why (I don't know that much about car audio). Glasswolf's site says there is no problem with digital amps, and I believe him :-) I can get get the DE-1000 for $669CAN ($535US) without the need to pay taxes, shipping, customs, etc. etc. Is this a good deal? I haven't followed the prices of US Amps . . .

Thanks again,
Bryan

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 90
By the way,

US Amps is listed as HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and lemental Designs is listed as QUESTIONABLE. This kind of reinforces my decision :-) I know the list is subjective, but the people who wrote it know a heck of a lot more about this stuff than I do :P

Regards,
Bryan

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1590
Bryan, glasswolf is very knowledgeable. Yes digital amps are good. On paper, they look like the answer to all amp problems.
In the real world, it's a different story. I have personally tested so called "digital" amp against class AB. One would think digital amp would kill AB in performance and power right? Wrong. In fact, class AB sounded better, pounded harder. And it was lower powered than the digital (580W rms digital vs 380W rms class AB).
Yes I have heard all those reviews on digital amps from many experts. The only thing odd about them is, if you look at what's in their "own" car, it's class AB.
Glasswolf uses all class AB, I am sure Jonathan does too. I also use class AB.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 91
Man, buying an amp just keeps on getting more complicated :P Class ABs probably cost more money to buy, because I think they cost more money to build?

Also, how does the Diamond Audio D51200.1 compare to the US Amps DE-1000? Better, worse?

Thanks,
Bryan

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 92
Or the Orion 1200D? Better/worse than DE-1000?

I'm just trying to explore all of my opitions . . .

Thanks!
Bryan

Gold Member

Post Number: 1592
Between those 2 amps, I'd go with US Amps. However, it's a class D. Your first choice should be class AB, then D/T etc...
Don't get me wrong, digital and class D amps are good. But for best sound quality, class AB are still at the top.
Have you listend to Orion HCCA 250G4 amp? It will blow away most amps in competition. It is on sale right now on eBay for $200+. I am sure it'll end up going over $300 like always. But it is a very nice amp. At least 5x better than the RF amp FutureShop sells for $899.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 93
There is a refurb Orion HCAA250G4 up for $299 right now. In order to get maximum output, I would need a 1 ohm load though. I already have the SWX1242D and can't afford another sub, so I need an amp that does about 1000W RMS at 2 ohms . . .

Regards,
Bryan

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 94
Also, as I mentioned before, I can get get the DE-1000 for $669CAN ($535US) without the need to pay taxes, shipping, customs, etc. etc. Is this a good deal?

Thanks,
Bryan

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 95
Oh, and is there any way to find a list of Canadian retailers the sell US Amps?

Sorry about the multiple posts, but I keep forgetting things after I click the "submit" button :P

Regards,
Bryan

Gold Member

Post Number: 1593
I am sure there are some US Amps retailers in Canada. The only problem you'll have is getting ripped off. Somehow, as soon as items cross the border, they seem to tack on 70% - 100%+ in profit margins. Good example is FutureShop and BestBuy in Canada. They take $340 amp and turn it into $899. You do the math. It doesn't make any sense.
Bryan, you are making the same mistake most people make. They under estimate Orion HCCA G4 amps. Yes it sounds weak, 400w rms @2ohms compared to many 1000w amps. I can assure you that it will pound harder and louder. Download G4 amp's manual and compare the specs to any amp you're considering to purchase. You won't find those features in any of the amps except the high ends like Zapco.
I'd consider new amps first, then used, then refurbs.
There is a good used amp on sale right now.
Don't under estimate the amp. You will be very surprised. I hooked the amp @ 4ohms, which is 50w rms. I'll tell you one thing, it was the loudest 50w I've ever heard. It blew away my 125W rms digital amp.
If you're after the loud bass sound, then there's plenty to choose from, but if you're into high quality sound/music, then G4 is it for your price range. I challenge you to find a better amp at that price.
I would buy up all the G4 amps, but since I have 2 250G4 and 275G4, I am content for now.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 97
Wow, you are really serious about this G4 . . .

The main benefit of the US Amp DE-1000 is that I can buy it locally for $669CAN ($535US). i wouldn't have to worry about waiting for the amp, paying 15% taxes, shipping (about $60US), customs brokerage (about $35US), etc. etc. (No one has told me if this is a good deal or not yet)

As you can see, it is certainly less hassel to buy locally rather than through the USA.

Basically, I can either spend $530US locally, or $400 on ebay to get to the same price in the end . . .

I know you know what yuo are talking about, but it really seems weir to me that a 400W RMS Orion can beat out a 1000W RMS US Amps . . . :S

I will look into it :-) Thanks!
Bryan

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 98
By the way, the person I am maybe buying the US Amps DE-1000 off of is a retailer in Canada who listed on Ebay. I just want to know of other retailers so that I can see how competitive the price is locally.

Thanks,
Bryan

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 99
And I can't find the auction you are referring to :S Do you have an item number?

Thanks,
Bryan

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 100
What about the Orion 8002? It is rated at 800W RMS at 4 ohms in mono . . . is this better than the other Orion amp you mention?

Thanks,
Bryan

Gold Member

Post Number: 1595
I know why you couldn't find it. I bet you were looking at eBay.ca right? Try eBay.com. I talked to the guy selling it and he WILL ship to Canada. The problem with eBay.ca is that if the seller selects US only, it won't show. Most of them will ship anywhere, as long as you're willing to pay.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 101
Thanks, I will take a look there.

Can you please tell me how the new Orion 8002 comares to the HCAA250G4 and to the DE-1000? I can get the 8002 online for about $380 plus shipping, which isn't too bad. Can you tell me how it compares?

The problem with the ebay auction is that I would have to wait for ti to end. I want to have an amp bought and shipped out by tomorrow if possible (so that i can have it in time for my installation appointment).

I prefer to deal with online companies that have phoen number that I can actually call them with. It gives me a bit f a sense of security . . .

Thanks,
Bryan

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 102
Woudl the digital amps be easier on the car's electrical system as well? Or is that not a problem with 1000W?

Thanks,
Bryan

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 103
Also, is the price I have on the US Amps DE-1000 a good deal?

Thanks,
Bryan

Gold Member

Post Number: 1599
The new Orion amps are okay. Not like the HCCA G4 series.
Just what kind of sound are you after? PPI's PC and PCX series are great for the money.
If you're set on buying digital amp, then go for it. From my testing, they're overrated. If you know anyone locally, that's into audio, ask them. They will probably advice you to invest in class AB.
Just curious, if the seller is in Canada, then he must have other US Amp series right? Ask them about class AB. In the long run, you'll be happier with it.
Let's say, in few years, you want to sell, how many do you think will consider buying it? Very few.
I'll list your best options again for your price range.
Orion HCCA G4, PPI's PC and PCX series, JL 500/1, Xtant, and JBL.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 104
What other US Amps models would you suggest over the DE-1000? I thought the mono aps were designed with subwoofers in mind?

Thanks,
Bryan

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1195
the 1000x is class AB.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 105
What other US Amps models would you suggest over the DE-1000? I thought the mono aps were designed with subwoofers in mind?

What about the TU-600 (vaccuum tube amp)? It is only 600W RMS though . . .

Or what about the USA-1000 or USA-1000X?

I think I would liek to go with a US Amps product just because I have the local connection for them at a good price (or at least I think, no one has told me if it is a good deal or not :-(

Thanks,
Bryan

Thanks,
Bryan

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1197
they are great amps. reguardless if you go class A/B or class D. Like Isaac said it is nice to run all class a/b amps like he said he does, as I do as well. You said you are just getting into stereo's you would not notice the difference between the two but like Isaac said in a few years as you progress in the game you will wish you got the a/b from the start. Remember class D amps only serve 1 purpose. to run subs, you cant hook it up to mids and highs or it will sound like sh!t. class A's run hotter and are less efficiant then class D's but the sound quality from them is the best.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 106
Thanks James,

The sole purpose of this amp is to run my subwoofer. It will never serve another purpose as long as I own it. I will try to get a comparable power class A/B amp as you guys suggest, but I will only get it if it is close in price to the Class DE. Unfortunately, I am on a budget and have to draw the line somewhere :-(

But, just to help me out, can you rate the above US Amps that I listed from best to worst for my application (ignoring the cost of each amp)?

Thanks!
Bryan

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 107
And is $535US for the DE-1000 a good price???? Please, someone tell me . . .

Regards,
Bryan

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1199
ummmm you can tend to find them cheaper on ebay but yes thats a good price. ok you want them rated. I like the USA 1000x because it is stable at 1ohm and the USA 1000 isnt. so 1)USA 1000X 2) USA 1000 3) DE1000 but just because I put the DE 1000 3rd doesnt mean its not a good amp it is a great amp. if your budget anly allows you to get the DE 1000 then get it you wont be unhappy.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 109
Thanks James :-)

You didn't rate the TU-600 . . . it is similar in price to the DE-1000. It is probably not powerful enough for my application?

Thanks,
Bryan

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 110
And I don't see many DE-1000's on Ebay. The cheapest one I can find is $499US, but it isn't local (I live in Canada).

Thanks,
Bryan

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1209
the TU's are not designed to run subs thats why I left it out.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 111
I belive it is the USA-1000 that is 1-ohm stable, not the 1000.

And would you rate the USA-100HC above all of these amps? It costs more, so I assume it is better?

Thanks,
Bryan

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1211
thats a competition amp yes it is much better and stble down at very low impedance levels. yeah your right about the 1000 and the 1000x I wa going off the top of my head I didnt look them up. The 1000 is a very nice amp . they all are.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 112
Alright, it all comes down to price now then. Here is my order of preference regardless of price. I am excluding the USA-100HC because it is probably too expensive, and may not work in my application because it required 1-ohm load to be most efficient:

1.) USA-1000
2.) USA-1000X
3.) DE-1000

If the USA-1000 or USA-1000X isn't too much more than the DE-1000, then I will get that. If there is a significant difference, then I will get the DE-1000.

I am guessing that the difference will be significant, and I will probably end up getting the DE-1000. It should probably be better than the Alpine MRD-M1001 that I was originally going to get anyways :P

Thanks for all the help,
Bryan

Gold Member

Post Number: 1600
I'll throw a monkey wrench to your mix. Orion HCCA 250G4 will do 1000w rms+ at 1ohm load. And it is real power.
Since it sounds like you haven't checked out the G4, I'll least some of the best features.
It comes with buffered rca output, crossover for low pass, high pass AND bandpass, phase shift switch for each channel, high SN ratio & slew rate as well as damping factor. Separate gain control for each channel. Half ohm stable in stereo mode, and 1ohm in bridged. 800w rms at 12volts! Will easily go over 1000w with your car's voltage 13.8v. Some tested it over 1100w.
Now you tell me an amp that comes with all those features around $300.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 113
Oh gosh, you persist with that Orion eh? :P hehehe :P

I don't doubt that the Orion is a wickedly-awesome amp, but I would just have too much of a hassle trying to source one and have it to me before my installation appointment next week :-( Also, I don't have a way of getting a 1-ohm load out of my single 12" 4ohm DVC sub . . .

I think I will try for the US Amps that I listed above, and in that order . . .

Thanks though!
Bryan

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1215
Isaac is very persistent with that amp for a reason. It is arguably one of the best amps ever made. The US amps are also very top quality amps as well. If you can get a G4 you could save some money but if not then go with the US amps either way you are getting a great amp.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 114
Even if I could find a G4 locally, woudl it work in my application with only 1 4-ohm DVC 1000W RMS sub? I couldn't make the 1-ohm load needed by the amp . . .

Regards,
Bryan

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 115
Also, another question about the DE-1000 . . .

It has two POS and two GROUND connectors. Does this mean that I can't use the 4ga wiring that is already in my car? Do I have to hook it up with two 8ga positives and two 8ga grounds?

Thanks,
Bryan

Gold Member

Post Number: 1602
Hey James, did you get your amp yet? I received my 275G4 yesterday. Boy is it a great amp. I tested it using Steve B's sound track. I heard bass that weren't available in other amps. Makes me wonder what everyone else is listening to when they say their "bass pounds" with cheap amps.
I didn't expect much improvements using Orion as sub amp, but I was more than surprised. The amp's bandwidth play a significant role when it comes to reproducing quality sound without clipping.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1225
I talked to Ron yesterday and he was waiting on the new power/ground clip to come in. He ordered them for me because the amp did not have them. he did it for no extra charge so that was mighty cool of him. he said as soon as they come in he will ship it to me. I cant wait. I just ordered the Avalanche 15 lastnight so I am going to use the Orion to power that. If it is too much I will use the Orion on my Brahma and my a600.2 on the Avalanche. Either way I shouldnt be dissapointed. Hey isaac I have been looking everywhere for a 275g4 if you see one and dont want it secretly let me know lol! too many bumbs on here will grab it out from under me at the last minute. lol.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1226
Hey bryan, Run your 4 guage power and ground into distrabution blocks. 2 blocks each with 1-4guage in and 2-8guages out.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 116
Do you guys know about the connectors on the DE-1000?

I really don't think the G4 will work for me because I can't get a 1-ohm load . . .

Thanks!
Bryan

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 117
Oh, that's weird, I didn't see your post before. I must not have refreshed . . .

I didn't know that distribution blocks exist (I am new to audio obviously) but that souds like a great alternative :D

Thanks!
Bryan

Gold Member

Post Number: 1603
No problem, I'll keep my eye on it. If you're going to use PPI 600.2 amp, then you'll need a phase shift and a crossover. This is why G4 amp is one of the best.
275G4 amp is huge. Over 25" long. It makes 250G4 look like a mini amp.
Read over the G4's manual carefully when hooking up. For some odd reason, HCCA G4 uses both pos from left and right in bridged mode.
Did you know that I also purchased PPI 2300.2 amp? It is as good as the Art series. Another amp worth buying for components.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1234
my deck has a x-over (alpine 9813) and a phase shift as well. Yeah I have never used it but heard great things about it.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 118
OK, I just called US Amps in Florida. WOW, they are extremely nice and helpful! I was VERY impressed with the customer service!

Anyways, I asked him if he would recommend the USA-1000 or DE-1000 in my situation.

Basically, he said they will both be equally loud, but that the USA-1000 will be much much more clean. It all comes down to a "damping factor". The class A/B has a damping factor of 900, the DE has a damping factor of 150, and a regular D would have a damping factor of around 80. (Not really sure what it means, but it makes the AB look impressive :P) He recommends the DE to people who are just interested in SPL, and recommends the A/B to people who are interested in SQ as well as SPL (like myself).

Anyways, I am going to try hard for the USA-1000 and see if I can get it close to budget.

Thanks for all of your excellent help!
Bryan

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1237
damping factor is the power that your amp has to stop the sub as fast as it starts it. The higher the damping factor the quicker it stops it. It is control over the sub. With a high damping factor and a nice sub you can make a 18 punch like a 10.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 119
Thanks for the simple explanation :D

So it sounds like the A/B kicks the pants off of the DE as far as SQL goes . . .

I will try my best for teh USA-1000 :D

Bryan

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1244
yup yopu got that right. Just like Isaac said before. He runs all class a/b as do I. It is very nice for sQ but there are some very nice class D's out there.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 120
Just to throw something out there . . .

What is the Zapco AG750 like? Do you know where I can find the specs?

Thanks!
Bryan

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1246
dont know the specs but here. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D7956206005& category=38638&sspagename=WDVW

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 121
Thanks man :-)

I think it is 750W RMS bridged . . . I sure does look old :S

Does anyone have experience with this amp? I can get it locally for $280US

Regards,
Bryan

Silver Member

Ontario Canada