Please help! Alpine MRD-M1001 or MRD-M1005?!

Bronze Member
Username: Bdonkersgoed

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 79
Hello Everyone,

I had a deal set to buy the Alpine MRD-M1001, but it caved (no stock). Since then, Alpine has now released the new replacement MRD-M1005.

Now, my question is, should I get the M1001 or M1005? It seems that the new M1005 is CHEAPER than the old M1001 :S Does this mean that the old M1001 was better?

I need to know ASAP because I have to have this item shipped to me before my installation appointment.

Please help!

Thanks,
Bryan

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1579
Just how much are you paying for the amp? I checked out MRD-M1001 and it only comes with 80A fuse. If you do the math, something doesn't add up. 80A fuse cannot give you 1000w rms safely.
Have you thought of getting Zapco/Arc Audio/Xtant/US Amps/Orion/PPI PC and PCX series/JL instead?
Most of the power amps I've tested, come with at least 120A fuses for 700W rms and over.
When a new model costs less than the old one, it's usually cause it's make cheaper somewhere else in the 3rd world. Same thing happened to Orion/PPI/RF/Kicker and many others.
I really don't see anything special about Alpine amp you mentioned above. You could easily replace it with better amps, probably at a lower price too.
If you're set on Alpine, I'd go with the older model.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 82
I was going to pay about $400 plus shipping for the MRD-M1001, and the MRD-M1005 can be had for about $370. The new M1005 is much smaller (physically) than the old M1001, and looks like a cheaper amp to me. Cheaper doesn't always mean worse, so the looks might be deceiving.

Anyways, I am open to suggestions.

So, here is what I have:

- Alpine CDA-9835 Head Unit
- Alpine SWX-1242D Subwoofer

And now I need an amp to power this sub. Preferably $400 or less. I will check out the suggestions, and if there are any more, please let me know If you can tell me of any good places to buy them, that would be great too!

Regards,
Bryan

Silver Member
Username: Rob315

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 149
i just picked up 2 mrd m501's and the birth sheet stated 597.1 watts..not sure if the mrd m1001 is under rated as well.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 238
my 1001 is rated at 1071 watts rms from the spec sheet

Gold Member

Post Number: 1588
Yes, but if you look at the fuses, it's only 80A. You can not get 1071w rms. The numbers don't add up. There is no way Alpine (not a great amp) could invent something that Zapco/Arc Audio/US Amps/Xtant/JL hasn't. That is to produce 1000w+ with 80A fuse. Maybe as peak power but not rms.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1589
One more thing, take a look at Sony/Lanzar/Pyle/Pyramid amps. They all claim 1000w, yet come with fuses under 60A. That is a big clue.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 96
OMG . . . when I first started reading your last post, I thought you were recommending Sony/Lanzar/Pyle/Pyramid :S:S:S :P Hahahaha!

But yes, I understand the whole fuse thing.

I am probably going to go with the US Amps DE-1000

Thanks,
Bryan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us