Amplifier wiring question

Bronze Member
Username: Bigjay

Post Number: 67
Ok, I have a question that I do not know the answer to. I need to know how to power my system that I am looking at putting in my truck. I know how to run the power cable but I don't know what is the best way to set a multi power system up. I am going to be using the Alpine 9833 head unit which requires an amp wire kit at 4 gauge wire to the battery, my subs amp requires a 1/0 gauge power cable and my speakers amp requires a 4 gauge power cable. How can I wire all three of these up so I don't hurt anything and each unit gets the power it needs and not too little or too much. I figured a power distribution block but the problem is that I have different gauge power cables. Can I use one to handle all 3 of these or do I need to do something different?

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 294
Go to your local dealer an look out for a distrubution block. There are different types that you can buy. Just find one that comes in with a 1/0 gauge and splits out to a 4 gauge. Check some of your local shops.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Ok, after I posted this I noticed that a dist block will work. Question I have now is do I use the 1/0 gauge wire from the battery to the block and then accordingly to each item or how do I do that. I know that my mono amp uses a 1/0 gauge amp wire kit and the rest use a 4 gauge. My thought and understanding is that I would use a 1/0 gauge wire from the battery to the block, then run 4 gauge wire from the block to my head unit and 4 gauge wire from the block to my 2 channel amp and 1/0 gauge wire from the block to the mono amp. I am assuming that is correct?

Also, how do I determine what size fuses to use and where? I know there is a fuse between the battery and the block and then the block has a fuse for each item connected to it. How do I determine what I need for each location?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 746
whoa hold on here man. Fist what amps are you dealing with? You dont need to run a 4 guage wire to your head unit. What you are going to want to do is run 0 guage back to your trunk. Mount your distro block next to your amps. Run the 0 guage into the distro then run 2 4 guages out one to each amp. The most important thing is that the 4 guage wire is as short to your sub amp as possable. Next do the same thing for your ground. mount it next to the power distro and run 0 guage ground to the distro and 2 4guages out one to each amp again make the 0 guage ground as short as possable also the 4 guage as short as possable going to the sub amp. That will work out fine for you. Next you are going to reground your battery,your NEW alternator, and Engine block. As far as fuses go I need to know what kind of amps you are running.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Ok, I guess I should have been a little more clear on this.

The head unit will be an Alpine CDA-9833 which according to the information I have read, requires a direct connection to the battery with an amp wire kit to power it due to the internal amplifier on the head unit.

The mono amp will be the MTX Thunder1501d amp and from what I have read, again, this amp is suggested to be wired with a 1/0 gauge kit

The multi channel amp is not choosen yet and not sure if I will need it or not but will not exceed a 4 gauge need for wire. I haven't decided if I am going to use a second amp for speakers or not yet, once, i am completed with what I feel is necessary(HU, Subs w/amp and box) and I see what I have left for budget will depend on how I do speakers and another amp if necessary. The vehicle is a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab and the alternator is marked at 145 for power. Also not sure if I will need a capacitor or not for any extra help.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 749
okI got ya. Run it exactly as I said before but as far as the power wire goes for the head unit run a wire from the deck up throught the fire wall to the battery itself not to your distrobution block. You might get away with that alternator if you are goingt o be running that amp at 4 ohms but if you are gonna run it at 2 then you will need a bigger alternator. Dont mess around with a cap save your money and just get a high powered alternator.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Ok, I get what you are saying on this. Just a quick question. What is the proper way to connect multiple items to the battery? Can I put one on top of the other or is there a splitter terminal I should look into getting to connect them up?

As far as the amps go, where do I place the fuses? I know there is a fuse at the battery that is equal to or greater than the total amps needed to run the system connected to it but I know that distro blocks also have fuse holders built into them for each connection point. What do I need in those or is it easier to just buy a prefabed amp wire kit that has the fuses built into the line and have the fuse between the distro and the amp?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 757
They do make terminals that you can connect multiple power wires to it is called a bus bar btu I have always just mounted multiple accesory terminals one top of eachother and it has always worked great.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Ok, that is good to know. I just didn't want to get into it and find out that I shorted something out or didn't connect it proper and then I screwed something up.

Unregistered guest
I have a factory radio in my car and I am hooking up a amp and box speakers. The factory radio is a Boss system and I can not find the remote turn on, on the back of the radio. Can you help?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us