Amp and power question

Username: Mattman111

Keizer, OR US

Post Number: 4
would 2 power acoustik LT1440/2ch amps be ok on a stock batery and alt. or what would you recomend, a capacitor maybe? and i have one hooked up already but when i hook up the second one do i just run another wire straight from the battery?

Thanx for the help

Username: Pace

Post Number: 1
Well, I have a JL 1000/1 and a JL 300/4 on my stock alternator, but with the largest Optima Yellowtop available and a RF 100 Farad Capacitor and it is more then sufficient for the dimming lights problem, although you would need a battery isolator to add a second battery properly. Due to your amplifiers msrp and my assumed budget you may be on, I would recommend the Lighting Audio S200 Battery Isolator. You could run just one wire directly from your positive on one battery to your pos. on the other and the negative on one battery to your neg. on the other and it would work although protection is a question if your intersted in saving you amplifiers due to a surge. The Battery Isolators are not very expensive and properly distribute the power b/t two batteries and do not affect your normal *Stock* battery and alternator. They enable you to have a constant amount of power b/t two batteries instead of one battery being drained, then the other "kicks in". I have tried running a 2 farad cap with my previous install constisting of only 1 JBL 1200.1 amplifier and a Pioneer GM-4000F and the capacitor was just not sufficient for the amplifiers drawing. I purchased the Rockford Fosgate 100 Farad cap about one month ago and I drive a Honda Civic 01 EX 4dr with stock alternator and that capacitor is more then a temporary patch for the lack of voltage issued from my stock alternator, it is more of a permenant solution if you charge it properly and maintain a steady, proper voltage in your battery.

Username: Mattman111

Keizer, OR US

Post Number: 5
so i would need a yellow top battery and a battery isolater to solve my power question? i drive a 1992 dodge dakota extended cab. with the ext. cab dedicated to my system so would i put the yellow top in the ext. cab? and what guage wire would i run from battery to battery?

Bronze Member
Username: Metalgearsolid

NJ

Post Number: 15
matt, you don't need anything yet. hook up your 2nd amp and see what happen.if you have serious headlights dimming or surges, just save some money and spend on a high output alternator. it will solve all your problems and it's easy to install.

Post Number: 3
Good question, because the previous install I had was in my 01 Dodge Ram 1500 EXT Cab with my entire backseat dedicated to my system as well.
Well, for a Dodge Truck, the alternator is of a better amperage rate then a stock car's etc.
It depends on how much money you are willing to spend for me to make a proper answer to your question. Since weight is not a problem for you due to your dodge truck, I would go with two Optima Yellowtop Batteries, (one as the starting battery and one as the 2nd in-cab battery). Run 1/0 Guage wire straight from you starting batteries' positive to your 2nd in-cab batteries' positive. The best wire that I can recommend for the price and the performance is from http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Power%20Wire (www.knukonceptz.com). They have the best wire, for the best price in terms of strand per dollar value and their wire is my choice and I have tried every brand.
The battery Isolator would definately more then "aid" your sound, but I would need to know your current battery type etc.. If you are on a budget, inform me of the price so I can provide you with the best known item per price service. If you are on the current budget in which I presume you are ( which is not bad at all, it just means your current terms on spending) recommend using a capacitor (not a very cheap one due to their specs and discharge rate)... Use two Kole Audio CS 1.5SD Capacitors ( I can guide you through the process of wiring the two caps as well), and that would provide roughly a 2,700 wattage protection backup circuit.

Username: Pimpin

Fort atkinson, Wi Usa

Post Number: 3
i have two pyramid hyper pro 1000watts subs and what would be a good amp to run them off of i had a pyramid crystal 1000watt 2 channeled amp but the low pass is smoked and im look at a new amp can anyone tell me a good amp to use thanks

Well, Pyramid subs are best used with Pyramid amps because their wattage is extremely overrated and if you use an amplifier that puts out a true 1000 watts RMS and put it to the hyper pro sub, it will pop. If your using the Hyper pro subs, then use the pyramid PB779x. It's a two channel with overrated power that will be perfect for two hyper pro's. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18796%26item%3D5749775428 %26

Fort atkinson, Wi Usa

ok thanks but i had one of my subs on a jl audio 500/1 yeah i know that would smoke it but the dude said it would work but u would have to turn the bass down would that make a differents to it? and would the low pass just go out or is something wrong with my wires or over powering it? cuz one side works on low pass and the other one dont.

That happened to my friends fosgate P800.2, but one channel would work fine and the other channel started smoking because he wired it incorrectly and the rockford's protection circuit wasn't working properly. I would think you blew one channel of your amplifier and just purchase another one. You can try wiring your subs differently. What are they wired at? Are they DVC or SVC?

Fort atkinson, Wi Usa

i dont know what it is but the one channel dont smoke it like wants to do it but it cuts in and out but it works on full pass and hi pass see i dont think its wired wrong cuz i dont how long its not been working cuz iv on been useing 1 sub on it and it work just doesnt hit hard so i dont know i am going to get a new amp but i want something that is going to hit hard on low pass. but im going to go get a new subs and amp and cd player when i get the money im not buying bad stuff yeah i cant tell u want it is if it is DVC or SVC.

Post Number: 9
If I was you, I would purchase the Soundstream VGA1600.2 amplifier. I used to have one and then sold it to this lady in Canada and made the original amount I payed for it + 85 bucks. I also have had the VGA 800.2 and they are damn good amplifiers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us