Question about ohms?

Username: Shayadave

Oceanside, California USA

Post Number: 6
OK, I am interested in getting the most out of my amp (Lanzar Vibe 268) , just like anyone else, and am curious about how ohms work? If the stat's from my Amp say's, 800W @ 2ohm and 500W @ 4ohm, How do I choose whether or not I want either one, I would really like to push 800W Obviously, but how do I know if my subs (Audiobahn Alum12Q-yes I know not many people like em, but they worked on my budget) will work at 2ohm? The Subs say 3Ohm or 12ohm Operation? I'm uneducated and need this to be broken down "Barney Style" if anyone is willing to explain.
Just to summerize what I am getting at.
How do I get the most out of my amp? Lanzar 268 Vibe series to power Audiobahn Alum 12Q's?

Post Number: 7
Well I'll just ask this, to any experience, keep in mind that this setup works with my budget, Is this Underpowered?>>> Two Lanzar268 2000 Watt 2 Channel amps Powering Four Audiobahn Alum 12Q's?

Username: Pace

Post Number: 2
If you have two alum12q's and want to run them at 800W RMS via your Lanzar, You have a couple of options. Your subs are each DVC 6 ohm:

Take some wire from one subwoofer's positive connection and connect it to the opposite side's positive (still on the same subwoofer), and do this to the other subwoofer in your install. Then connect some wire to the positive and negative connection for each subwoofer and run them out together and wire them together resulting in 2 wires from each sub (1 pos/1neg) and take the negative from one subwoofer and connect it to the negative on the other subwoofer and do the same with the positive wires. Your results to the amplifier will be one positive and one negative (created by connecting one pos from one sub to the other pos from the other sub to the neg from one sub to the other neg from the other sub on your way to the amp. Then you result will be a 1.5 ohm load for two DVC 6OHM subs. If the Lanzar will remain stable at this rate, then go for it! Althogh I doubt the amplifier will last you long running at this low of ohms, Quite Frankly, two DVC 6OHM subs would do better, or perfect, with the Lanzar VIBE1200D/1800D, due to the 1.5 ohm (1.3ohm) perfection.

Post Number: 8
Do you know if it is safe to do what you are saying with what I have? annnnnd, is this safe to do on my own having had not much experience with this stuff at all? What I have now is one pos. and one neg. wire connecting to my subs, what kind of ohm is this called?

Anonymous

check this wiring out. but change all the 4ohms to 6ohms (thats the sub you got) and change the end result to 2ohms.(i think thats it)
2_4ohmDVC_1ohm.gif

the problem here is your amp is 2 channels, so if you bridge the 2 channels of your amp it will want to see a 4ohm load from your subs. and thats not something you can achieve with those subs.

You can also try this out. but again, change the 4ohms to 6ohms and the end result to 3ohms.
1_4ohmDVC_2ohm.gif
wire one sub to each channel of your amp. your amp can handle this at 3ohms but it will not be giving out the power that it can at 2ohms.

hope this all makes sense

Anonymous

check this wiring out. but change all the 4ohms to 6ohms (thats the sub you got) and change the end result to 2ohms.(i think thats it)

the problem here is your amp is 2 channels, so if you bridge the 2 channels of your amp it will want to see a 4ohm load from your subs. and thats not something you can achieve with those subs.

You can also try this out. but again, change the 4ohms to 6ohms and the end result to 3ohms.

wire one sub to each channel of your amp. your amp can handle this at 3ohms but it will not be giving out the power that it can at 2ohms.

hope this all makes sense

Anonymous

the pictures didn't work,

nevermind

Post Number: 9
Another retarded (not really) Question. For my subs the specs say that the Impedance is 6ohm, what does that mean?
for the amp the Specs say...
2x500 watts RMS at 4ohms
2x1000 watts max at 4ohms
1x1000 watts max at 4ohms bridged
2x800 watts at 2ohms

I like the way 2x1000 watts sounds, is it really possible with what I have?

Is it all up to how I personally want my wiring to be or is it strictly how the amp and sub relate to eachother?
Im learning...

Post Number: 6
An "ohm" is the resistance to the flow of an electrical current measured. The higher the ohms the higher the resistance to current. (That is why an amplifier stable at 1 ohm, and running at 1 ohm can produce so much more power then if it was running at 4 ohms because an amplifier at lower impedance (ohms) = more current flow=more power. It's sort of like the (impedance) gauges of speaker/power wire. The higher the gauge, the smaller the wire, the lesser current. The lower the gauge, the larger the wire, more current flow.

Post Number: 10
So let me keep on going on about this one more time. Is my amp suitable with my subs? Lanzar 268 and Audiobahn Alum12q?

Post Number: 7
See, the "MAX" ratings on amplifier are just not applicable in my opinion. Most of the amplifiers fuse ratings are too low to ever reach that amount of power. Such as an amplifier with 3 40 amp fuses can reach roughly 1200 watts. The pyramid and legacy amplifiers will say " 2 x 1000 output", and then if you look in an owners manual, it will say 2 x 75 RMS , so your getting screwed. That is why CEA-2006 has evolved and set regulations for amplifier power ratings, to hopefully eliminate companies stating MAX power and incorrect statements.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1548
You won't get 2000w from a Lanzar amp. That is a peak anyways.
Since your subs are 6ohms, it can be wired for 3ohms load. Your amp does support 2ohms in stereo mode. So you'll get somewhere between 500w and 800w. I'd be surprised if you actually got that much power.
Cheap amps tend to overrate the power numbers to catch consumer's eyes.

Bronze Member
Username: Sparkey2027

Barnstaple, England England

Post Number: 71
yes those subs are very under powerd. and as for trying to wire 4 6ohmdvc subs to equal 4 ohms. GOOD LUCK.

those subs are 1000w r.m.s a piece. and ur sub is 500w r.m.s. do the math

Post Number: 8
The answer to your question is NO. The Lanzar 268 is not suitable for the proper amount of watts for each of your alum12q's. The load for both of your subwoofers would be 1.5 ohms at the amp. Since your subs are 1000W RMS a piece, although 500 true RMS to each of them will be sufficient, if you like Lanzar, go with the 1800D Mono block amplifier. When it comes down to it, that amplifier will produce around 1100 watts at 1.3 ohms est. Therefore it would about even out to 500 true watts to each of your alum12q's and that would be a good match for the price. The 1000/1 would be the best choice though but it's so expensive.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
So in all it's good to go, if im looking at a "Midrange" Power?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us