NEED NEW ALT

skinfmx420
Unregistered guest
i have a chevy c1500 1996. i have to crossfire 1000Ds which put out 1200 watts rms a peice. i also have a crossfire 404 which puts out 550 rms. which size alt would you recomend

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 667
250 amp!

Bronze Member
Username: Americanbass

Post Number: 52
u dont really need a new alternator put a yellow top under the hood and one or two yellow tops in the back i have a 2000D and a mid amp that does about 200 watts i have been running the 2000D fine with the stock alternator in my grand am i just upgraded from a stock battery to a red top in the front and a yellow in the back check out batterymart.com they have really good prices on those batteries

Bronze Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 31
Hey James..i have 2 jl 500/1's that are both 50amps each and a alpine 4/3/2 250 amplifier which is 25amps. What size alternator whould be good. Im thinking like a 150amp?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 695
yeah that should be fine but what is the price difference between the 150 and a 180 or a 200? always go bigger if you can it leaves more head room later.

Hey Justin dont give advise unless you know what you are talking about!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
James check out www.mralternator.com and just look for car you have. They have good deals. For my toyota camry 98 model..it costs $240 for a 150amp alternator which is the biggest shown. Im sure they can make bigger ones. But im gonna stick with the 150amp which leaves me 25amps to play with later.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 564
You could also try www.motorcityreman.com
Somebody on sounddomain said they had one of their alternators and it was good. I haven't heard much about them, but I'm gonna order a 160 amp alternator for my Sunbird. They quoted me $129 plus shipping to make one to fit my bird.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1533
It doesn't matter where you buy the HO Alternator, make sure they fit your car. Don't forget about 4alterstart.com too.
Check them all out and pick the one that's most helpful. Price isn't everything when it comes to alternator. Product without support is nothing.
As for Justin's comment, it's not a wise thing to follow. Where do you think the his batteries are getting it's juice from? The stock alternator. That means, his alternator has to work even harder, charge the starter battery as well as the spare in his trunk. Then have enough juice left for the car's electrical system, lights, heater, air conditioner etc. Sooner or later, it's going to kill his alternator.
A stock alternator will put out 65-75A the most. 60%-75% will be used by the car, so that leaves you with maybe 20A for the amps. 20A x 12V = 240W approximately. Can you see what'll happen if you install a 1000w amp?
Batteries will hold about 1 hour of music time. After that, your overworked alternator will try and supply the power. If it can't, you'll see your electrical system and car shutting down.
Isn't it smarter to invest $300 on a proper HO alternator? A broken electrical system could cost you thousands in repair bills.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 572
Yeah. MotorCityReman has some really decent prices, and they do have very good customer services. They replied to all of my emails very quickly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Thanks guys.. i went ahead and emailed www.motorcityreman.com Im just waitin for a reply. My car wasnt listed so i emailed them. For one the price is much better then mr.alternator But like isaac was saying. I think it should be done right. Ill have to upgrade my positive to the alternator to 4 gauge? from my battery to a 4 gauge now ? thats whay they recommend. Any input on this..thanks How does it work

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
also if i am running 180 amps total from my 3 amplifiers. What size fuse should i put in the fuse holder along the power wire. it is 4 gauge going from the battery to the trunk.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
anyone know?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us