Help with wiring amp to two subs...

Username: Leonb21

Post Number: 1
I have two 12's kicker comp vr and sony xplod 1600 watt amp. I have them wired but at the peak they turn off. I've been reading up on this OHM thing and cant get it. If im not mistaken my subs are 4ohm...meaning they have 4 places to wire them??? Dont know. I need help on how to wire them and get the best sound.
-Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 112
No Bobby 4 ohms doesnt mean 4 places to wire them you have a thing called a voice coil each voice coil has a negative and positve wire runnin it to the subs positive and negative terminals,If it is a Dual Voice Coil sub then you have 2 Voice Coils each voice coil runnin a positive and negative wire from it to the Subs terminals givin you 4 outputs from the sub(2 positive,2 Negative)4 ohms is the impedance of the voice coil it just lets you know how you can wire your subs without them goin below the amps stable amp load.If I were you I would get rid of the Sony Amp very poor perfomance from this amp will make your Kickers sound awful.Each CVR can hold 400 watts so I would suggest a Kicker 800.1 Amplifier or at least Kicker 600.1 to power the both of them.
Example:2 Dual Voice Coil 4 ohm subs wired in parallel Give you a 1 ohm load,2 Single Voice Coil Subs wired in parallel give you a 2 ohm load.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1179
http://www.bcae1.com/ohm.htm

Post Number: 2
I made this in paint. Can you explain to me what would be the best way to wire them so i can get the best performance.
-Thankskickers and sony amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Sony Diagram

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
If your CVR's are Dual 4 ohm which I assume they are that will give your amp a 2 ohm load.

Post Number: 3
Hydro, thats how i have them wired and they turn off at the peak.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1185
that's becasue sony amps suck whale dork.
sorry.

get a better amp like the JBL BP600.1 and you'll be in business.

Jeff Hester
Unregistered guest
How do you wire the subs from 4 to 1 and then the other wire from 3 to 2? I have two dual 4 ohm Kicker 12" L7 subs. How do I wire them to get a 2 ohm load from a Kicker kx1200.1? Will it let each each sub get 600 amps or 300 amps each? Please help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1191
you can't get a 2 Ohm load from a mono amp and two DVC subs that are 4 Ohms per cooil.
sorry.

Post Number: 4
What would be the best amp to get with only 100 bucks to spend?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1198
sell the Sony first. that'll help add to the budget.
the bp600.1 from JBL is about $180-210 US if you shop around on-line, or use eBay. Maybe even a bit cheaper on eBay.

That's about the cheapest amp I know, worth considering for those two subs.
That will give the subs each a healthy 300 watts RMS.

Unregistered guest
i just bout a JBL 600.2 and i need to make it power 2 pioneer premier 12's (4 ohms each)
the amp is rated
150x2 4ohms
300x2 2ohms
600x1 4ohms
what is the best way to wire this? bridged the amp says that it can only take 4ohms and up. i would lie to put 300 through each speaker because they are 400 RMS

Anonymous

i have a 1 channel rockford power amp that runs 100x 1 watts rms into 4 ohms, and 200x 1 watts rms into 2 ohms. How should i wire two 4 ohm subs upto this amp? I already connected both sub's positive wires together and the negatives together and that sounded horrible hooked up to the amp, worse than one sub hooked up to the one channel. Is there another wiring pattern i should use for this amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1289
Karl; you should have gotten the 600.1
with that amp, you're stuck at 4 Ohms stereo, 150W per sub

Anon, wire the subs in parallel to the amp.
that'll be 2 Ohms.. still only 100W per sub though
consider a bigger amp..

Username: Tbone

Post Number: 3
Folks, remember it takes a ten-fold jump in power to achieve twice the volume. Something to think about, adding a little power adds very little, adding a lot of power helps to, but can be expensive.

D.A.W.
Unregistered guest
Ohm is a measure of impedance (also called resistance). when the resistance (impedance) is low, esentialy the amp doesn't need to push as hard to get its power across. This is why it produces more power at lower ohm ratings. If your amp is cutting out the problem is likely POWER. There is not enough juice to run your system. Try adding a stiffening capacitor to reduce the shock the battery takes. Also, you could wire your subs in series rather than paralell. In series= amp positive to woofer one's positive, woofer one's negative to woofer two's posative, woofer two's negative to the amps negative. If your subs are 4ohms, this will give an 8ohm load instead of 2 ohms, and will require less juice from the battery.

Unregistered guest
could i possible bridge the channels and then run the speakers in series. i know that would probably make one sub quieter, but would it work?

Anonymous

i have two 12" subwarfers and a 1200 watt amp and you can't hear them until i turn my old non factory radio up really loud. whats wrong with it?

ReTart
Unregistered guest
ROFL.........this is like science class for mentally retarded first graders.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1533
"Ohm is a measure of impedance (also called resistance)."

actually, resistance refers to DC, impedance refers to AC. They do have different properties under certain circumstances.

capacitors won't help. if you don't have enouch current, you need a larger alternator when the car is running, and isolated deep cycle batteries when it isn't.

Oscar
Unregistered guest
I have 2 15" Kicker L7's, An Audiobahn A18001DQ Amp, and a Lightning Audio Capacitor (1000 Watts). I know this is a pretty stupid question, but how do i wire the amp to the capacitor?? and then, from the cap. to the Subs?? or how exactly do i wire it all?? I've never had a system that has this much power before and have there4 never had the need for a capacitor. Thanx

Silver Member

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 160
Well the power wire you have running from your battery hook that up to one side of your cap and the other side run more power wire thats the same gauge to the amps power input terminal

Unregistered guest
I have an Alpine MRP 350 700Watt Amp and Two 500Watt Subs.. The Amp only has two terminals(+ and -) so how do i wire up the two subs to the two terminals? Do i need four terminals? Or can i wire them in parralel? Diagrams would be helpful.. Help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us