What kind of amp should i get

Username: Highroller8799

Post Number: 1
i have 2 sony xplod subs(400rms 4ohms each) and 2 sony xplod mids(100rms 4ohms each)i dont no much about this stuff but i need to no how many channels, watts, ohms the amp needs to have to push my speakers to full capacity

Post Number: 2
i pretty much no how many watts and ohms i need now i just need to no what the channels are and how many i need

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1437
What do you mean by mids? Is that mid bass or actual mid speakers? Where are the mids being installed?
Depending on your budget and headunit, you might want to get 4 channel amp to power front, rear and sub. Most amp will let you run rear and sub on the same channel using coil and capacitor.
Look for 4 channel amp that's 2ohms stable, 1ohm even better that's 100w rms - 125w rms.
PPI, Orion, Xtant, RF, Kicker, Audiobahn, MTX all make them.

Post Number: 3
the speaker is a xs-v6945x

6" x 9" HOP woofer cone
2-9/16" Nano-fine mid
1" balance dome tweeter
1" balance dome super tweeter
400W peak power (100W RMS)
Flexible mounting options

i was going to put them in the front door panels if i could unless thats a bad idea

overall im planning on having the 4 speakers 2 in front and 2 in trunk

im still confused with what the channels are

Gold Member

Post Number: 1442
If you could fit 6x9 in your front door panel then do it. That is the location where you would want your best speakers installed.
Think of channels as left and right on your home stereo. Therefore, 4 channel amp would have left and right for the front and left and right for the rear.
That's all it is.
And each channel gets it's own speaker attached to it.

Post Number: 4
if the details of an amp said this (500W x 1 RMS into 4 ohms) does that mean that it has 1 channel and 500 watts is going into the 1 channel at 4 ohms

Gold Member

Post Number: 1448
What that means is that, you'd be getting 500W rms x 1 @4ohms. This doesn't mean it's a mono amp. It could just be the power rating for a 2 channel amp in a bridged mode. Check your amp's manual or search google for your model.

Post Number: 5
so hypotheticaly speaking if it is a 2 channel amp in bridged mode if i hooked 2 speakers up to it would they both get 500w or 250w each

Gold Member

Post Number: 1449
Each speaker would get 250W rms.

Post Number: 7
so how would i hook 2 100rms speakers and 2 400rms speakers up to an amp and get full capacity out of the 400rms speakers and not blow the 100rms speakers

Gold Member

Post Number: 1452
For that to work, you'll need at least a 2 channel amp. 4 channel amp with a crossover is better cause you can set the front for mids to highs, and low bass for the subs.
If you only have 2 channel amp, then you can hook up the 2 speakers with capacitors, and hook up the sub in bridged mode with a coil. This is called tri-mode. The sub will get 2x more power than your other speakers.

Post Number: 8
would it be possible to get a high powered 2 channel amp for the subs and then a lower powered 2 channel amp for the 2 6x9's so that i can push both of them to the max and niether will blow

eclipseman
Unregistered guest
I have a soundstream reference 604 amp it is 100 watts x 4 channels will that push my eclipse 5.25 component speakers that are rated at 100 watts rms. do i need a 4 channel amp or a two. and does that mean a channel per speaker two tweeters and two 5.25 speakers or something else.

Username: Jake_powler

Post Number: 1
I just got 3 10' Alpine type E's what would be the best type of amp to get? I don't really know a lot about subs or amps but i need an amp that is cheap but will do the job
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us