Should i be content with my Alpine Amps?

Username: Vqman

Post Number: 1
I have bought 2 pair of Boston 6.5s for my Maxima.

for the fronts, I have the Boston Z6's

and for the rears, I have the Boston Pro 6.5's

I currently have 2 amps for them. A 10 year old Alpine 3527S (25x4 or 50x2) - which I was going to use to power the Bostons Pros in the rear, and a brand new Alpine MRV-T420 that is a 75 x 2 amp that I was going to use for the front Boston Z6s.

For a sub, I have a Diamond M6 10D4, and it is to be powered by a Soundstream Rubicon RUB500-1

Instead of the Alpines, I was considering a second Soundstream 4 channel amp (RUB604-4) or a Tarantula TR500/4 for the mids and highs. But I wasn't sure if Soundstream was good for mids and highs....do they have good signal to noise ratio's? I like the idea of having all one brand amp..but I don't HAVE to have all one brand. If Soundstream is horrible for mids/highs I'll go another route. But if they are known to be awesome for mids and highs, I was thinking about being uniform with my amps.

Should I just stick with my Alpines?

what about the JL 450/4?

my main concern is CLARITY! I don't need to impress my neighbors, or the next neighborhood over for that matter...

thanks for the advice.

-vq

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
the alpines you have aren't "bad".. so, it's not like if you stay with what you have that you're not going to like the sound of your music much..

soundstream's Van Gogh and TR amps have S/N's of >115.. to answer your question..

the JL 450/4 is a great choice.. i'd go with that, out of the 3 options..

Post Number: 5
i can get ahold of the JL 450/4 pretty easy...

just about every store in town carries them....

thanks for the help

-vq

Post Number: 9
so for CLARITY, the choice should be the JL450/4?

thanks

-vq

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
well, yes, that would be a good choice to assure clarity.. there ARE still other options, but that is a fine choice..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I think I'm just going to go with the Alpine's for now...

If I don't like, then I'll upgrade

-vq

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
turns out that my Boston Z6s are rated at 20-400W

and are a 3 ohm speaker...

so are the Boston Pro Series...

this changes everything (in regard to amp specs)

now when I see a 120x4 @ 4 ohms, I know it's WAY more power than I need, because wouldn't that be 60 x 4 @ 2 ohms?

and some where in between for 3 ohms?

-vq

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
no, you've got it BACKWARDS.. it's 240 X 4 @ 2 ohms.. that's a LOT of POWER!!.. for mids.. i don't know how loud you like to listen to your music, but i love to crank mine up(i don't think i hear as well anymore.. =4) and i'm fine with 80 x 4.. and i don't even use all that power that often if ever.. *shrug*

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
yeah...I know what I meant...

that is backwards...

ummm...I ended up going with the SS Van Gogh 320.4

i'm saving my Alpines for....ebay?

-vq
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help