Looking for some expert amp advice

Username: Lowe83

Canton, Oh U.S.A

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a 2001 bmw 330ci and soon realized that the Harmon Kardon sound systems are pathetic at best. I've been reading the board here and from the sounds of it my best component upgrade choice for the money would be getting two sets ( one up front and one in back) of the Infinity Kappa Perfects. My main question though is this: there are many companies who make good amps in my novice opinion-----Orion,ppi,alpine,jl,memphis.......Which one should I chose though for powering these components sets though? Again, in total there will be 4 6.5's,4 tweets, and 4 crossovers. I was told that a 4 channel amp would make the most sense. How about the speakers, would someone recommend anything different or maybe have experience with bmw car audio?

Thanks so very much for all you feedback!

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 426
well you dont sound like you are strapped for cash so I would go with a PPI 480 or 4125. If you want something a little better look into PPI (art series), Zapco,Zapco reference,US amps,Mcintosh,Sinfoni(very very nice) you should find what you want with one of those.

Canton, Oh U.S.A

Post Number: 2
Thanks James
I'm not familiar with most of those names though. Are these companies that specialize in amps for component or non-sub speakers? alpine,orion ect. wouldn't produce the best results that i'm looking for with a setup like this right? Thanks again James--------Scott

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 433
Alpine and (new)Orion will work just fine but if you want top of the line go with one of the amps I have named. www.usamps.com www.precisionpower.com www.zapco.com check them out.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1316
If you're looking for the best sound quality, go with Arc Audio, Zapco, Orion, Xtant, PPI to start with. I've checked out Alpine amps. They're not as good compared to the brands I mentioned above.
Mcintosh is a nice amp that'll look and sound great in your car. I'll give you one advice, do not waste your money on cheap amps. You will regret it in the future.

Canton, Oh U.S.A

Post Number: 4
Anyone else that would like to join in on this thread please do!! I'm looking for the best amp to run a high end 6.5 component set. I've heard that just because one amp is good for subs doesn't mean that company makes good midrange or component amps.

Thanks Isaac and James for all your help, it's been since h.s.(six years ago) that I really kept tabs on the audio world.

Either of you guys or anyone else have any opinions on component sets for this car? I'm not as concerned about bass (obviously with no subs) as I am crystal clear sound quality and crisp mid-range
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us