I got a question

Bronze Member
Username: Sniperman

Michigan United States

Post Number: 12
if i get a four channel amp to power my front two component speakers at 4 ohms, can i use the two rear outputs to power a 4 ohm dual voice coil sub? just a question. if the rms matters then the front components are infinity 6 1/2" with 1" tweeters 90watts @4ohms and the sub is a jl audio 15" 200watts @4ohms dual voice coils. thanks in advance.

Bronze Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 14
can anybody answer this question?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 337
yes that will work fine. The only thing is unless you run the rear channel's in stereo you will not get a 4ohm load out of that amp. With dual 4ohms mono you will get a 2ohm load in parellel or 8ohm load in series. So if that amp you have is stable at 2ohms then It will work fine if your sub can handle 400 rms. if not then 8ohms wont be enough power because it would be 100 watts to your sub not 200. I really need more info as to what you plans are and what amp are you dealing with?

Bronze Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 15
well thats the thing, i dont know what kind of amp to get because i wasnt sure that i could do it that way in the first place. I have my speakers set up and my sub in a box but the amp is the only issue. I want good sound quality out of my speakers as well as good bass from a sub. the sub can probably handle 400 watts rms but its a 4 ohm sub, and the speakers are as well. What are some good ideas as to the wattage of an amp to get?

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 341
What model JL do you have w0,w3v2.or w6v2?

Bronze Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 16
its a discontinued w4-d4.

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 343
alright that sub cant take 400 watts for any long periods of time it will cook it. I would look into like the Mtx-MXA6004, or the Alpine MRV-F540. Those would both be ok for you

Bronze Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 17
so with either of those amps i can hook up my front speakers and that one sub all in 4 ohms? what way will i have to wire the amp and the subs to get them in 4 ohms?

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 345
you can run it in stereo but I wouldnt I would run it mono at 2ohms.

Bronze Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 18
but the subs are 4 ohms and so are the speakers

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 346
yes but a dual 4ohm sub will present a 2ohm load to your amp run mono is parellel or an 8 ohm load in series.

Bronze Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 19
oh okay, now the big issue here is money, i could afford those amps but is there anything a little less expensive for same quality?

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 347
no not really you get what you pay for with electronics.

Bronze Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 20
ok thanks a lot

Username: Spcmoss

Post Number: 1
????? i have 4 12 inch mtx 6000 dual voice coil subs and im trying to figure out what amp to go with . i had a boss war series 1950 watt amp on to older mtx subs and it sounded pretty good . so i was thinking of going with the boss pd 4000 amp. can any one tell me if this pd 4000 will make them slam and if not what would be better for around the same $$$or would 2 spl 1600 amps b better

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1293
Boss makes cheap amps, cheap as in quality. PD is the only model that is decent. If you want great sounding amp, try Zapco, Arc Audio, Orion HCCA series, PPI PCX series, JL, JBL.
That's just some of the brands.
If you're into high quality sound, then stay away from Boss/Pyramid/Sony/Lanzar.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 365
I would get a PPI art series over a PCX series any day but there not bad amp's just made over seas not in america anymore like they used to be.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1303
The PCX I was talking about was made in USA. At least that's what the label said.
I have PPI art series amp. It is a nice amp, produces clean sound. Orion HCCA 250G4 however, is even a better amp. I have both.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 366
I would not say better.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 367
The PCX series was made by directed also. An american based company but manufactured overseas.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1305
James, I disagree. I compared both amps and discovered Orion HCCA 250G4 gave slightly better highs. Unless you have very high quality car component speakers, they'll sound both the same. I used 4 way home stereo tower speakers to test them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1307
One more thing, PPI PCX are not made overseas. I double checked. It has made in USA label.

Username: Spcmoss

Post Number: 2
would the boss pd 4000 pound my 4 12 inch mtx 6000 or would i be better off buying 2 spl 1600's ....if u can think of any other amp thats around the 300$ range that would work let me know thanx

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 370
ok Isaac if you are looking at their headquarters in California and assuming that they are made in the USA they arnt. They are manufactured in China and if you dont believe me call them for yourself 1-800-876-0800 Their alarms are made in america and thats it. All amps,subs,speakers,everything car audio is indeed manufactured overseas! that goes for PPI,Orion,a/d/s,and directed electronis products. And as far as the Orion HCCA's or the PPI art series sounding better then eachothe it is all prefference they are both fantastic amps.
James

Gold Member

Post Number: 1308
That's pretty sad then, cause someone called PPI and the tech support told him it was made in USA. Anyhow, Orion HCCA has a slightly better spec to me and it also allows me to go as low as .5ohms.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 373
yeah it is pretty sad. I think that the Orion's are great great sub amps because they can drop so low. They are also very very good mid and high amps. The PPI art series are very very good sub amps when run at 4ohms mono. Thats where it is better to have a orion over the PPI because they are stable at .5ohms. The PPI and the Orion when it comes to running mids and highs are personal prefference but if you are comparing those two amps chances are you have a very high taste for music sound quality. I would never bash either model they are both Very very good amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1309
I agree with you on that point, this is why I bought both amps. I will be getting Orion HCCA 275G4 very shortly. For some reason a guy I know is selling it so I'm buying right away. That model is one of the hardest to find/get.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 375
yeah if you come across another one and you dont want to buy it up let me know I will deff take it. I am buying a US amps DE 1000 tonight so I will see how that amp works out for me should be nice. But I am always looking for nice equipment especially the orion HCCA'a so let me know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1310
The guy's going to check his inventory. I think he said he had Orion HCCA 250GS(same as G4 except it's all red), and HCCA 225G4. If I had more money, I would've bought all of his amps. I settled for 250G4 and now trying to get 275G4.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 377
Dude I am interested in the 250 G4 if you arnt let me know man. Also if he has a 2100 I might be interested in that as well. thanksman let me know what he has after you raape him(lol) of what he's got.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us