A8000T and infinity perfects

clipper
Unregistered guest
Hello I have 2 12" infinity perfects powered by an 800w rms audiobahn amp. The subs are in a sealed box with a volume of 1.25 cubic feet/ chamber. I get a little bit of distortion and I cant turn the frequency up very high on the amp either so my subs dont hit all of the bass notes. Today I noticed that the left sub wasnt doing what the right one was. The left one looks like its clipping, not totally cutting out the cone just moves abnormally while being played. Is my sub about to blow or am I just paranoid. And should I get a bigger box? I know that they are suppose to be in 1 cubic foot but they just dont seem to be putting out as much sound as I would like. I figured the amp would pound the $h!t out of the subs. They are wired 2 ohm, mono amp ran them in paralell they are 4 ohm svc sub, I think thats 2 ohm. But what im getting at is I had the subs running off of an infinity amp getting 111 watts rms a piece@ 4 ohm before and they seemed to be getting about same linear movement. Any help or suggestions are appreciated thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1258
A8000T is a good amp for the money. If you set the gains and bass boost controls properly, it will pound. I've tested it.
Since you're saying you're getting distortion, check your gain control. If your HU is 4v, then set it to 4v, not 3v or lower. It'll cause distortion at higher volume level.
When you say "I cant turn the frequency up very high on the amp either", what control are you talking about? For more bass, you have to lower the frequency control, 60hz - 100hz. If you set it higher, you'll get more mid bass.
I was able to set the bass boost to max and get no distortion.
Since your amp is 1 channel, the subs should've been hooked up in parallel mode. Both subs should respond exactly. If not, either your wiring is faulty or the sub is dying.

clipper
Unregistered guest
Would I be getting distortion if my subs were dying? I turn the low pass frequency up to hit the different bass notes. Some songs have them. But if I turn the freq all the way down then I dont get much bass at all, they hit but they dont make alot of sound. I can only turn my bass boost up to about 2/3 before it starts to distort. I didnt see a gain nob the only thing I could think of was the input. Should I turn that down? And my subs are hooked up in paralell. Is that wired to 2 ohm do you know? they are 4 ohm subs. Thanks for your help Isaac.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1267
The 8000T has a control called "Level", this is the gain control. Set it half way for 4v HU. You might want to turn on sub sonic filter on, and set it around 20 hz. LPF should be around 50hz - 80hz, bass boost, anywhere from 10db - 18db. I've set it to max and had no problem.
If one of your subs were dying, it wouldn't distort till it got certain amount of power. At low volume, almost any half dead subs will behave.
I have a sub that works perfect low volume, but as soon as you raise it, you can hear the sub dying and distorting.

clipper
Unregistered guest
The sub doesnt sound HORRIBlE at high volume but I can pick up on a slight distortion. And where is the volt setting on my HU? Thank you for your settings I will try those when I get my truck back. Would the box being small have anything to do with it? Thanks.

clipper
Unregistered guest
The sub doesnt sound HORRIBLE at high volume but I can pick up on a slight distortion. And where is the volt setting on my HU? Thank you for your settings I will try those when I get my truck back. Would the box being small have anything to do with it? Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1270
There is no voltage setting on HU. If your box is too small, you'll just get bad bass. What is your sub's power rating? Maybe, you're reaching the maximum load for them?

clipper
Unregistered guest
The power rating is 350 rms a piece. They are 4 ohm subs wired in paralell of off a mono amp. What ohm load is that? If it is a 4 ohm load each of the subs are getting 200watts rms. If its a 2 ohm load then each sub is getting 400 watts rms. But I have read the perfects can take much more wattage so im pretty sure either way they should be able to handle it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1271
If your subs are 4ohms DVC, then you'll end up with 1ohm load. If they're SVC, then you'll get 2ohms.
I think you are pushing the subs beyond their limit. It can easily be done with bass boost.

clipper
Unregistered guest
No they are svc subs so they are getting the 400 watts rms a piece. I read that infinity 12.1 perfects can handle much more rms than they are rated at. Each is only getting 50 more watts rms than stated. With your help on the frequencys and gain settings I should be able to get things sorted out. I am deffinatley going to try a bigger box too. Thanks again for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us