Amps for 2 12" Kicker L7 Subs

Username: Homegrowncam

Watauga, TX United States

Post Number: 1
Alright so here is the deal I have 3 Jl Audio 8w6's in a sealed box running of a Infinity Kappa 202a Amp and I have a Kenwood KDC-319 head unit with a Kenwood 6042 11 band equalizer and I am going to be adding 2 12" Kicker L7 subs to it and I am going to be putting them into two separate sealed boxes. Now I know the RMS for it is like 750 watts for one but what would be the best amp to run up to it?And would it be better to run separate amps to each one for better power?

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 150
Gitting 2 amp's won't help that much, so if I wher you I would git 1 class D amp.
For 750 rms each I would go with amp's like
Rockford T1501
Hifonic 1500D
or the Mtx... for get what it is called but it is somthing like Mtx1501D
They are all grate amp's

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 213
get kicker amps for the l7's. i have the mtx 1501d on 2 l7's and i think they are underpowered.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 160
Really! That's weerd!
I'am not a big fan of Kicker though.

Post Number: 2
Hey thanks alot!I was checking out the highfonics and mtx one but I cant find anything on the rockford, but it is bad to put too much watts to the subs, right?

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 161
Ya it can cause a lot of damage to the voice coil's and a lot of other thing's. With the amp's I mintioned each sub will git 750 watt's rms.
The Rockford amp is more expencive, so for the price you would do better to get thehifonics, unless you have a lot of money to throw around, or you are like me and just like Fosgate's stuff!

Post Number: 3
yeah so when i look at the sepcs on the amps I am looking for 1500 watts rms or peak power?oh yeah and taylor fosgate is some good stuff!

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 216
my mtx 1501d birth certificate says 1079 watts rms @ 12v. i don't really understand this cause i thought it was going to be 1500 watts.

Bronze Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 31
Most amp are rated @ 14 Volts. It makes the number look higher. However the power is there at that volts. Some are rated @ 12 Volts. Most electrical system run from 11 Volts to over 14 Volts. It has a lot to do with size alternator. All ways go by RMS watts.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3042
The 1500 watts the MTX is rated at is 14.4V dynamic power. The 12V is considered the RMS power. The amp will put out over 1500 watts, though, with the right current supply, which most factory alternators can't provide in the first place. Also, remember that you have to double the power to create a 3db increase. So even if you compare two 1500W amps and one is a little underrated, you really won't hear a huge difference between the two.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 219
what is dynamic power?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3045
In MTX's case, it's more of a transient RMS rating. It's a shaky phrase to talk about, but all in all it means if you give the amp 14.4V, then it will put out 1500 watts. Other companies that are less reliable will list dynamic power as more of a peak rating, you have to be careful when going by those specs.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 222
What is transient RMS then? So this amp is capable of 1500 watts clean power? If only I could get steady 14.4v. My voltage gauge bounces around alot. I also have a MTX 564 wich is 560 watts \ 4. How big of a HO alternator do you think I need? I plan on getting a 5 farad cap. Some guy at the stereo shop told me that a BatCap is what I need, but it didn't look like much. Sorry to steal you thread cameron.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3048
You need an alternator, with the regulator set at 14.4V. MTX's dynamic power rating is really a RMS rating, it's just considered "dynamic" because most cars can't provide a continuous 14.4V signal. So yes, that amp can put out 1500W RMS when given power to do so. As far as the alternator, depends on the vehicle you drive, but you'll need around a 200A most likely. Get the alternator first, then a capacitor and battery.

Post Number: 4
thanks alot guys this is all good info!so i would be straight if i got the Mtx1501D amp and I had clean source of 14.4v?will i need a cap for this or would it be fine to run this off my distrabution block?and right now with my 3 jl w6s and my infinity amp i use 2 gauge for the wires, will i need to go bigger when adding this to it?

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 178
You might want to watch your alternator, you are starting to pull a lot of energy, for the wiring 2/1 gauge wire should be fine.
If your headlight's dim when the car is running, then your alternator can't keep up and you need to start looking for a better alt befor it craps out on you.
A capacitor won't help if you don't have a good charging system hint's a bigger alternator. If you don't have a good alt then all a capacitor will do is hide your alt's problum, not fix it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us