Lookin at a four channel Hifonics amp, good amp or not?

Username: Gavbo211

US

Post Number: 2
Just like Jeff who posted about about a hifonics amp, i was wondering if a Hifonics NX-880 4 channel amp was a good buy. it says 100 watts x 4 at 4 ohms RMS which sounds pretty good. any info or people that have had experiences with this brand would be great.

US

Post Number: 3
by the way i had planned on using this amp to run three JL Audio subs not speakers so i wonder if that might make a difference

Anonymous

what kind of JLs w6? w3v2s? etc..

US

Post Number: 4
I know it sounds weird but i have a JL w3v2, 10w0 and 10IB4. i have seperate boxes for each so they have the right amoung of air space. i got a great deal on the three so i had to go for them. but i figured if i got this amp i would run the w0 and IB4 on the first 2 channels and then bridge the W3v2 on channels 3 and 4

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1165
Gavin, just curious, why would you have 3 different kind of subs? What is your goal? Unless they're balanced and tuned properly, they won't sound as good as 2 identical subs.
I wouldn't waste your money on that hifonics amp. If bass is what you're after, then get a proper sub amp. It'll sound much better. 100W in bass term, is not enough.
Look for an amp that's 500w - 1000w. As long as you stay within the amp's ohm requirement, you can add 2 or more subs together on one amp.

US

Post Number: 5
I know it sounds weird to have 3 different subs but one was free, one paid 41 bucks for one, and the other i payed 35 bucks for. i was hopin to sell the other 2 and get another w3v2 but im 17 and #1. i cant afford it and 2. (i know it sounds childish but i still live at home) my parents are goin crazy cause they say i spend to much money on this stuff. i can get that hifonics as bday present if i want, and i cant afford different subs so right now i got the different three is there any amp that u suggest i could use now and then use in the future if i ever got another w3v2. remember right now anything besides these 3 subs is out of the question and will be for a while. thanks alot for your help.

US

Post Number: 6
I know it sounds weird to have 3 different subs but one was free, one paid 41 bucks for one, and the other i payed 35 bucks for. As u well know the w3v2 alone is worth 3 times that much by itself. i was hopin to sell the other 2 and get another w3v2 but im 17 and #1. i cant afford it and 2. (i know it sounds childish but i still live at home) my parents are goin crazy cause they say i spend to much money on this stuff. i can get that hifonics as bday present if i want, and i cant afford different subs so right now i got the different three is there any amp that u suggest i could use now and then use in the future if i ever got another w3v2. remember right now anything besides these 3 subs is out of the question and will be for a while. thanks alot for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1174
Ok then your only solution is to pair up the subs that are similar in power. For example if your 2 of your subs are rated 200W rms, then wire those 2 in parallel and leave the 3rd one by itself. Instead of getting 4 channel amp, get 2 channel. Power 2 subs that's wired in parallel on 1 channel, and the 3rd one on the 2nd channel. Most 2 channel amps will allow 2ohms operation per channel. This is your best setup.
If you decide to go with one good sub, then get a mono amp that's 2ohms stable, 1ohm stable is even better.
As for brand of amps, since you're on a tight budget, try some used Orion, PPI, JL, JBL, Audiobahn, MTX. Last time I checked eBay, they all had an amp under $200 with good power.
If you noticed the order of brands, that's the order of choices you should aim for.

US

Post Number: 7
well the 10w0 and IB4 are both rated at 125 watts rms as far as i know but they have different ohms. i wasnt sure if u can run subs of different ohms together but i will look for one of those kinds of amps. thanks alot
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us