Jeep Gr Cherokee w/ Infinity Gold

Anonymous

My 97 Grand Cherokee has the infinity gold setup in it. I would like to replace the headunit. The infinity system uses an amp under the rear passenger seat to drive the components. Has anybody ever replaced their HU in a GC? What steps are involved to bypass the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7370
you can use the PAC Audio OEM-1 adapter to replace either the head unit or the amp or to add an additional amp while keeping the rest of the system.
That amp runs at 2 ohms however, so if you bypass the OEM amplifier, and replace the head unit, you may as well just trash the entire system and start from scratch.

Anonymous

Glass... I really want to just replace the headunit. Could I use a new HU with the existing amp? Would there be any reasons I would even want to do this?

just trash the entire system and start from scratch.
-what would this involve doing?

I believe the infinity gold system sounds pretty good. I have replaced the door speakers with new Alpine coaxials. sounds very good. The only reason I want to replace the HU is to pick up pre-amp outs. Right now I am running my subs using a RCA line adapter.

What is this PAC Audio adapter you mentioned? What exactly does it do?

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee with the infinity sounds system installed and the factory 10 CD changer. I would like to replace the head unit with my Kenwood KDC-M9021 MP3 player. Is it possible to do this and still use the steering wheel controls? And can I replace the head unit but continue to use the factory CD changer in the back?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7428
the PAC OEM-1 adapts the factory system to a new head unit, or allows you to keep the factory head unit and add RCA line outs for added amplifiers.
www.pacaudio.com

as for steering controls and the changer, no and no.
you'll lose both by replacing the factory unit. you'll also lose the driver 1 and driver 2 preset settings offered with Jeep's remote entry system.

Anonymous

Ok, well I'm not really concerned with the driver presets. I will miss the steering controls, but that's not a big deal either.

So if I get this PAC OEM-1. It should be a pretty clean and easy install, right? As far as sound quality though. Would it be better to "start from scratch" and run new wires to the doors, or use the Infinity Gold Amp with the adapter?

thanks Glass for the help

Anonymous

Ok, well I'm not really concerned with the driver presets. I will miss the steering controls, but that's not a big deal either.

So if I get this PAC OEM-1. It should be a pretty clean and easy install, right? As far as sound quality though. Would it be better to "start from scratch" and run new wires to the doors, or use the Infinity Gold Amp with the adapter?

thanks Glass for the help

Unregistered guest
Hello,

I was hoping you could help me? I have a 97 Larado that I bought from an auction. It has Infinity gold speakers and regular radio that doesn't work. When I tried to buy a radio I was told that I would have to replace the whole system. Is this true?
Mark

Username: Philpgr

Post Number: 1
Hi GlassWolf. Thanks for the info. But you say that the steering controls are lost, but I found these kits and wondered if they would work for my Kenwood radio.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3507
Gregor.

Anonymous

You can add an aftermarket head unit to Jeeps with Infinity. You can keep the factory amp AND the steering wheel controls. I didn't bother with the wheel controls, but I am happily using the factory amp in mine.

When you add the head unit to an Infinity equipped Jeep, you just have to take one extra step over non-Infinity Jeeps. That is too hook the amps remote turn on wire to the head units remote wire, along with all the other wires. Buy a wiring harness that allows connection without cutting any of the factory radio harness.

For steering wheel controls, the head unit you want to install must come with a wireless remote control. If it does, then in most cases all you have to do, is buy and hook up this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PAZVTk2cTpU/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=127SWIX&search=s teering+wheel+control+adapter

Unregistered guest
i have a 95 jeep GC with a stock infinity gold system. i wanna add a new head unit and 2 12 inch subs. am i gonna have to buy a new amp? or can i just use the infinity amp to power both the subs and the speakers?

Anonymous

To anonymous.

How did you hook your new HU up with the existing amp? Did you use the PAC Audio OEM-1? AND... how do you hook the amps remote turn on to the new HU's? Where is this wire?

TeCh NeWb
Unregistered guest
I have the infinity gold head unit in my jeep and I have a pioneer deh-p3500? Which is better, should I replace with the pioneer?

Unregistered guest
I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Infinity Gold sound system. The 2 small speakers in the dash burned out. I would like to know the db/1wm, their watts capacity and their frequency response. I dont want to buy them from the Jeep dealer because they sell them $84.00can/each. I'm sure I can find similar speakers at reasonnable price.Thank you!

Unregistered guest
I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with an Infinity system, and one of my rear door speakers has blown cuz the bass is popping and cracking. I went to buy new speakers at BestBuy and was told that they only sold 4 ohm speakers and the ones in my Jeep are 2 ohms.. Said that if I installed 4 ohm speakers I risked "frying" either my deck or my amp. I can't find 2 ohm speakers anywhere. Am I being mislead? Help

Daniel White
Unregistered guest
hey, Im getting a new Kenwood HU and 2 12" subs with a Hifonics amp to power the subs, and I want to keep the 4 mids and the tweeters and use the factory amp for those. But I dont want to loose everything changing headunits, or do I have to change my HU? Please help.

nonamerequired
Unregistered guest
Ok...with and infinity gold system, no matter what, if you want to replace the HU, you have to go by the factory amp. If you dont, you will "over load" causing no sound whatsoever. I am personally in the middle of hand wiring[bypassing] the amp...its a pain, but it ends up being worth it. Im simply using a multimeter to find the +/- to each speaker, 1 wire at a time....rather tedious! the harnesses companies sell for this are incredibly expencive, but if your budget permits, go for it! itll save you alot of time!

EWJ
Unregistered guest
94 GC with Infinity Gold. No sound and power antenna didn't rise. Told it is the amp. Can you bypass the amp and just use the HU. Anyone have the amp wiring schematic?

Unregistered guest
i put 4 ppi speakers in 6 months ago and blew all of them. The GC amp is 2 ohm, it sucks.

Im putting in new JL and MB quart speakers and a new amp. Does anyone know where to find a diagram of the amp wiring?
I need to find out what wire does what so id dont destroy anything.

Unregistered guest
hey my friend has a 97 jeep cher. and he just bought a sony headunit i'm not to fond of sony but it was his choice well anyways same problem as before does anyone have a diagram or wire chart to bypass the amp he's leaving town at 4am tomorrow and i wanna give him some tunes to listen to thanks chris email me if you have any answers or respond on here thanks

Unregistered guest
Hi,guys
Ihave a jeep GC 5.9l have a infinty gold as well with sound bar in the back...
speakers blow-out in the from.
i m looking for relacement,somebody have for sale
i don't want to replaced for after market
i love to keep the originality of the systm for factory.....anyone??????

can contact me at jlforteza@aol.......i will pay for a new set or used and good conditions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us