Amp for Type R and Orion

Silver Member
Username: Xxkmfdmxx

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 218
What would be a good amp for under $250 to power one DVC 2 ohm Alpine Type R(300w RMS) and one DVC 4 ohm Orion CS12D(200 RMS)

Was thinking about getting a Orion HCCA 225.

Anonymous

well you should prolly get a JL if you can afford it. you are going to have a wierd ohm load with those 2 subs.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1096
Do you know what the power rating is for Orion HCCA 225? It's 50w rms at 2ohms. Unless you want to go below 1ohm, you're wasting money. Those amps on eBay are going for almost $250 USD, some even want as much as $300. Yes it's a great amp but not if they want that kind of money for an amp that's approaching 6-10years in age.

Silver Member

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 226
I knew what the rating was, I read good reviews on it with people running two subs on it so figured it could be an option..And I could get the amp for $75 locally.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 342
not a good idea to run 2 different subs. run one of the 2 subs only

Gold Member

Post Number: 1099
If you can get the hcca 225 amp for $75, get it. You won't find a better bargain. A guy here wanted $400 and wouldn't budge. I told him it was a bit too steep.
Tell me if the guy selling the amp has some more.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1100
BTW Oleg, I tested the A8002T amp with my sub. It sounds great so far.

Silver Member

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 227
Sure thing, He told me he had a couple so I'll look into it more tomorrow. As for not running 2 different subs. I guess I'll have to get another Type-R then. Either that or sell my two current subs and try to find a pair of 12s a bit lower in price.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 343
Yeah, get another type R. You can either keep or sell your orion. I like to have variation, so i at times test/use other subs as well. You can keep the type R's in a sealed box and the orions in a ported so you can either go loud or go with a flatter, more natural curve. Per Isaac's comment about the A8002T, you can probably drive 2 type R's with that amp, what do you think, Isaac?

Bronze Member
Username: Themax96se

USA

Post Number: 44
Wow type R's are so popular. I guess they are pretty good for the price, I had one hooked up yesterday... it sounded great!

I was also talking to someone who said its not a good idea to run 2 different subs with different loads. I thought it you bring the 4ohm DVC to 2 ohm, and run both at 1ohm it would be ok... he told me otherwise.

However, would it still be okay to run different subs if you run them on thier own channel?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1106
I personally find that A8002T is good for powering components wherelse, A8000T is more suited for subs. If your goal is subs, then get A8000T (1 channel), but if you want the flexiblity of being able to power the subs and components then A8002T is a better option (2 channels).
LouieV, as for your question, if the 2 subs are identical brand and power rating, you can mix and match. Let's say you had 1 4ohms DVC and 1 2ohms DVC, either bring up the 2ohms or down the 4ohms, then use it together.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 345
Isaac's right, it's still the same sub though just with different wiring options. 2 different subs is not a good idea to mix though. If the A8002T is bridged, does it become the same as the A8000T?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1110
In bridged mode, it's identical except it doesn't have phase shift switch.

Bronze Member
Username: Themax96se

USA

Post Number: 47
Ok, so as long as they are the same brand & type... then it shouldnt be a problem?

In my case I have (2) 10" Type R's. First one is a 2ohm DVC, second is a 4ohm SVC.

Only option here was to bring the 2ohm to see a 4ohm load, and run both together for a 2ohm load.
I think they are 300wRMS each... The problem is, one coil on first sub (2ohm DVC) does not work. The other side seems to work fine... can coil just die like that, will it affect the other coil?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1116
Whoa, now that's a different story. If one of your VC is not working, then DO NOT use it with the other sub period.
A voice coil don't die very often by itself. Have you had each VC hooked up to a 2 channel amp? Sometimes that will blow it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us