Big amp needs big wire

Unregistered guest
Ok i have 2 mofo 12s in my car with a 3000 watt class D mono block amp upgraded my alternator to a 200 amp with a yellow top im running a 4g wire and im thinking i should upgrade to a 0, right? also i was told to upgrade the wires from the alternator to the battery? would this help? but if so what wire do i need to upgrade and how big should it be, a 0 too? i have a lot of 4g wire! also how big should the fuse be? im thinkin about using a curcit breaker instead! Oh i forgot to say that im running a 5 farad cap with a sec amp wich is only 300 watts no biggie im just really concentrated on the class D. im running the this cable almost 20 feet. any help would be of great help. thanx

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 404
Wires to upgrade.

Alternator to battery +
Battery - to chassi
Engine block to chassi

Upgrading to 0 guage for your main power wire won't hurt, thats for sure. As for other 3 I sugested you upgrade, if you leave the factory, and add a 4 guage it will be fine. Unless you don't mind spending some extra $. Then I would go 0 all the way around.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7327
is this 3000 watts RMS or peak?

Unregistered guest
i wish 3000 rms! it is 3000 peak, i think its 2600 rms, i could be wrong it is a legacy red series 2 i got fairly cheap that is why im using it

Unregistered guest
Oh i forgot the, what wire on the alt should i up grade is it the one that is held on by the bolt? im guessing so because its the only moderitly sized wire. I was also told to run a wire straight to the head unit i.e. the memory positive and one for the neg. would this help pre-amp out voltage?? thanx

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7334
what's the model number of the amp? I might be able to find your RMS power, but in all honesty that amp is probably about 200-400 watts RMS total at it's lowest load.
I just went through this with someone else who had a pyramid amp that said "1000 watts" and it turns out the amp really delivers 80 watts x 2, and their website says "we're not responsible for misleading information."
go figure.
anyway RMS power is what you base cable size on.
that amp needs 4ga at most.
you'll want 4ga from alternator to battery, battery to ground, and alternator or motor to chassis. this will insure the larger alternator gets the current flow it needs without heating up the wires and causing damage.
you'll want to run 4ga from battery to the amps, and at the amplifier(s) use a distribution block to split down to probbaly 8ga cable to each amplifier, or pass through 4ga to the amp if it needs it.

Unregistered guest
well its a legacy red series 2 and it dose say on the amp 3000 watts and in the manual it says 3000 max and for a 4 ohms rms its 400 for 2 ohms its 800 rms and for 1.3 ohms its 1200 rms. hope this helps oh and the model is la3070d

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 415
Yeah even those #s are exagerated. You will probably be safe with what glass said. However if you plan on upgrading later, you can go with my route. So I would take a sec to figure out what you would like to have in the future and go from there.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 416
Yeah even those #s are exagerated. You will probably be safe with what glass said. However if you plan on upgrading later, you can go with my route. So I would take a sec to figure out what you would like to have in the future and go from there.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 417

Unregistered guest
alright thanx alot man i do plan on upgrading like crazy so i will take what you said into great consideration, i mean that to. i like to see what glass says about it!glass. . . .

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7367
at 1200 watts, you'll need a minimum of 4ga.
2ga is a better bet as you can go farther with 2ga at that much current draw without heat issues.
125A is a peak current rating for 4ga, and that's right at where you'll be with 1200wRMS

Unregistered guest
cool thanx so much you guys. you guys been so much help and taken so much strain off my brain really thanx so much! ok, one more question what amp do you think i should use to power my 2 mofos? and once more thanx again!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7378
thought ya already had the amp

Unregistered guest
yeah but im looking for a better one common legacy dosnt make the greatest amps you of all people should know that glass! and second of all when i first got this amp it actualy started on fire, and no i didnt hook it up wrong. They said it was somtin with the transistors. and when i looked in side it was all black(has a plexi glass window) and also when this happened no fuses blew and it was an actual fire.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7398
well, depending on the coil configuration of those subs, try one of the following for starters:
JBL BP1200.1
Kicker KX1200.1
Kicker SX1250.1
MTX Thunder1501
Orion 1200D

Unregistered guest
cool thanx

bigpoppaj
Unregistered guest
i have 2 12" solobaric l7 4 ohm dvc with a 1200d orion amp if i wire the speakers in parallel that makes them at 2 ohm load.now when i hook them into each channel to a mono amp what ohm will i will be running at
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us