Amp is killing battery

Bronze Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 18
Hey, I have a 250 watt amp thats hooked up to the battery, and i have it hooked into a switch inside the car so i can turn it on and off. However, if i leave the switch on, it drains the battery when the car is off. Is this because of the switch or is not hooked up correctly? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 314
this is because when you leave the switch on. the amp is still on. if the amp is on it is constantly drawing power from the battery even if their is no sound. it will draw power from the battery until it is dead. dont do this. it is very bad for your battery/car. always turn the switch off or if you keep forgetting it, then wire it to the remote wire like it is supposed to be.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2909
Everything is hooked up correctly. The main reason an amp draws current even when no music plays is that amps apply a voltage bias to the transistors. Transistors use dope at each junction to create it's charge, and depending on what type you use (silicon or germanium) each junction has an internal voltage. Silicon is the most common dope and has an internal voltage of .7 volts. It acts as a sort of electronic switch, and to switch ON the internal voltage must be surpassed. To keep the transistor ON, amplifiers apply what is called a bias voltage, that way the transistor always recieves a level of power above it's internal voltage and current will flow continuously. If you were to let a transistor simply turn on by the audio signal, then you would lose any information below .7 volts on the signal, resulting in distortion since the signal isn't even produced. The bias voltage is also the reason you have amplifier hum, because when music isn't being produced, you hear the voltage coming from the circuit.

Bronze Member

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 19
John, I did not wire everything myself. My friend who works in car audio did the switch for me, and i am wondering if maybe he didn't wire the remote. Or can you not use a switch and a remote wire at the same time.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 115
Use the switch and the remote. This way when the key is off, the amp is off. Then it wouldn't matter if you forgot to turn it off.

Bronze Member

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 20
How do I wire in the remote?

Bronze Member

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 21
I think the remote wiring might be a problem because i used a Line Level Output Converter, because i didn't want to get a new head unit, since this car is old and i don't really feel like putting a whole lot of money into this one. But anyways, is there a way to wire in the remote with this setup?

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 128
Usually the remote wire comes from the deck. All the remote wire does is give a 12v signal when the key is on. If you know how 2 use a volt meter then all you have to do is find a wire that has 12v only when the key is on. U should be able to find a fuse that is only hot when the key is on. Bum the 12v off of this fuse and run it 2 yer switch. This way the amp will only turn on when key is on. Then no dead battery.

Username: Mikey

Miami, Fl Puerto Rico

Post Number: 2
or you can simply purchase a power intercepter switch for your remote wire. This switch comes in different colors and can be found in any auto zones. what this switch does is that it interrupts and power whenever you wish. all you do is cut the remote wire and connect both ends to the switch (either way). that's all. now you have control of the bass whenever you want.

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 321
ok heres what you can do. im not sure about LOC but just take your remote wire. run it to where you want your switch. cut the wire and strip both ends. hook up the switch there. this way the switch can be on or off but if the HU is off their wont be any power going through it. it will take some time and maybe a new remote wire to get enough length. that is what i am going to do.

Propaganda13
Unregistered guest
Is there a reason that you want a switch?
I'd wire the remote turn-on wire to a switched power wire/fuse or buy PAC TR-4 Low-Voltage Remote Turn-On Trigger http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/TR-4.html

Bronze Member

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 22
I like the switch, which is located next to my steering wheel because i can turn on and off the subs when i want or don't feel like listening to them. I have a factory head unit that doesn't not have RCA connectors on it which is why i used the LOC. But when the switch is on, and the cars off, the battery is killed. I don't think i have a remote wire wired in right now. Could someone explain how to do this?

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 147
Usually the remote wire comes from the deck. All the remote wire does is give a 12v signal when the key is on. If you know how 2 use a volt meter then all you have to do is find a wire that has 12v only when the key is on. U should be able to find a fuse that is only hot when the key is on. Bum the 12v off of this fuse and run it 2 yer switch. This way the amp will only turn on when key is on. Then no dead battery.

Bronze Member

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 23
Thanks alot all of you who've answered my questions. I apperciate it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us