4000W or 2400W

A.C.
Unregistered guest
I recently obtained two 12" subs each has the following specifications of 700W Rms, 1800W Max, 200 oz. magnent, and dual 2 ohm voice coils (i.e. power acoustik #FUBR-12). The problem is, I would like to make these speakers sound as good as they possibly can bass wise(within my given budget ). My question is; should i get a 4000W [800 rms Watts x 2 channels (2 Ohms] Boss PD amp or a 2400w [400 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms] ROCKFORD FOSGATE P8002. i would imagine that the 4000W amp would be better however the other amp is Rockford.

taylor17
Unregistered guest
The Boss would better match your sub's, but it is a Boss amp so really I wouldn't go with that amp. The rockford p8002 amp is a much better amp. I have the p8002 and it put's out more than what it says. Out of the 2 I would defanently go with the Rockford.

A.C.
Unregistered guest
Ok.
one other questions. DO you think my speakers would be able to handle an Alphasonik PMA1000HCA
with a RMS Power Rating: 900 watts x 2 chan. at 2 Ohms Stereo with a Peak Power Output 6000 watts approx. or should i just stick with the rockford or do you know of any other amp that might be a good choice.

taylor17
Unregistered guest
I don't know anything about your sub's but just looking at there rating's 900 watt's would be over doing it.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 303
A.C. go with the rockford. The other two amps you listed are very very low quality. They will not put out the power they are rated at, and have a very high failure rate.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7001
stop paying attention to "max" power ratings first. they are meaningless.
go by RMS only.
you have two 700 watt RMS subs. The voice coil configuration of the subs will determine the appropriate amplifier, but you'll want to give the subs around 500-600 watts RMS each at whatever load they present.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 942
AC, the RF may say 400W, but if you get the model that comes with remote bass control, you will surely get much more than 400W.
If you're on a tight budget, don't forget MTX amps. They are underrated in power wise.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7003
remote bass level controls are just attenuation sircuits that decrease the input signal of the amplifier to decrease the subwoofer volume level.
they don't actually increase output any.. just to be clear.

taylor17
Unregistered guest
Ya Isaac, I have the p8002 with the remote bass and like I said it put's out more than it says. Grate amp I love it:-)

A.C.
Unregistered guest
So, i take it that the rockford amp would be best however i am willing to spend the money for an alpha amp (6000W max) and i would love to have bragging rights of the ownership of a 6000W amp. but if the p8002 is the best amp i shall undoubtly purchase this one (with the remote bass)

taylor17
Unregistered guest
That amp doesn't put out 6000 watt's, that is the max, or peak output. That amp will never put out 6000 watt's. You have to look at the rms rating's, that mean's basically constant power. So for example the rockford p8002, that amp is an 800 watt amp. It says 2400 max watt's, but really that means nothing, more than likely it will never put out that much power.
Anyway ya the rockford amp is a good amp. You can get it for like $380 at www.sonicelectronix.com if you want to check it out.

A.C.
Unregistered guest
well for the records the 6000W amp is 900w rms x 2 channel at 2 Ohm.
i also have just one more questions; would one rockford p8002 sound better than TWO sony Xploid amps (1200W) and ~500W rms each bringed mono.

taylor17
Unregistered guest
With the Rockford you will get better quallity, as well as durability. Sony amp's are ok but not the same rank as Rockford.

Silver Member

Post Number: 963
AC, Sony amps operate warm to hot with no load. So can you see what'll happen if you tried to get 500W out of them? Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time a Sony amp actually produced what they advertised. Sometimes I wonder if Sony owns Pyramid or vise versa. They both use some shabby advertising methods.
If you think the worst amp you can buy is Pyrimad, then Sony is right there with them.

A.C.
Unregistered guest
ok, ok Rockford Fosgate is clearly the best choice thank you'll for the help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 966
AC, have you looked at Kicker? I'm not too keen on RF's P series. Their T series are much better.

taylor17
Unregistered guest
There punch amp's are grate. They run a little warm but my p8002 or my p4004 has never overheated.
Also check out mtx, a nother good brand.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 311
Isaac the only sony amps that put out what they were rated at were the Mobile ES 260g and 2100g. (pre explode stuff)I ran the 260gs in my last stereo and at 2 ohms they put out around 350 rms. They were also very rare and expencive, so I have only heard of a few people to ever seen or ran them. I happened to get luck when I got mine and paid less than 500 for both of them.

A.C. stay away from the sony amps. Their new stuff blows. I do like kicker better than Rockford when it comes to thier lower level stuff. So if you have a chance check out some of their amps too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us