Amp settings

Username: Legitdank

Mayfield Hts, Ohio United states

Post Number: 3
Hey you guys , i wanted to know what settings i should set my amp on , the bass eq.. and all that , well i have 2 audiobahn 12" 700rms 1400 maxx , my amp is the power acoustic LT980/2 , I am going to be bridging the amp to my subs so each sub will be pushin about 1000 watts , what should i put the settings on the amp to? plz help thanks

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 237
Not sure where you got the info that the amp will do 1000W x 2, but it'll only do 280W x 2 at 2ohms. If you push it, your subs will fry. That amp is not enough for even one of those subs. So i suggest you reconsider and return the amp if you can. It's overrated as well, you'll get about 200W x 2 out of it.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6919
amp specs

2-Channel Amp Specifications
Amplifier Type: 2-channel
RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 220W x 2
THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: 0.02 %
Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 560W x 1
Speaker Level Inputs: No
Preamp Outputs: Yes
Built-In Crossovers: HP/LP
Bass Boost: 0 - 24 dB
Frequency Response: 10-30,000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio: 98 dB
Fuse Rating: n/a
Shipping Weight: 6 lbs
Warranty: 1 year

are the subs single or dual voice coil?
how many ohms per coil?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 246
They're dual 4ohm. So, series-parallel, 4ohms - 220W a piece if you're lucky, most likely no more than 200W a piece. So, REALLY reconsider the amp.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6931
nah
wire the coils in parallel
put one sub on each channel
don't bother bridging the amp. no point.
you'll get a 2 ohm stereo load.
that's about 350-400 watts RMS per sub.
dependingon the design quality and efficiency of the amplifier when you lower the load on it.. amps don't really "double" their power with half the load.
they try, but they always lose some power.. thus the 350-400
some amps come closer than others

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6932
actually looking at the bridged power rating, you'd get 280wRMS x 2 @ 2 ohms
not great but it will work

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 247
What I was saying is that I had a more powerful power acoustic amp (rated 370W x 2 @ 2ohms RMS) unning audiobahn subs and you don't really get anything out of it. So I was talking from experience.

Post Number: 4
Should I try to get The kenwood 1000W ? , or what would be the best way to go? , b/c in my book for my amp it says the rms for bridged is 560 watts rms, so im not sure what you guys are saying ?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6939
buy a better made, more reliable amplifier.
kenwood and power acoustik aren't very good.
honestly, audiobahn isn't fantastic either, but it should at least make enough bass so as not to complain so the problem seems to be the amp.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 252
Glass is right. There're better subs out there and far better amps. Those subs will deliver what you want and a little extra if you give 'em somethin good to eat :-)

Post Number: 5
what would be something extra that i could " give them to eat " haha .

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 254
I think 450W will be good. An extra 100W would be perfect.

Post Number: 6
Alright well thanks you guys, but i just decided to go ahead and get the jl audio 500/1 , Just got back from the autosound store , and got the info and the hoook up on my subs to amp , and the tech said the 500/1 would be perfect so yep tahnks you guys for all your help and ill be back if i need some more.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 255
See how that works out. Remember, he's also a salesman, so he wants you to buy it. It's a good amp, so see if it gives you enough juice.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6956
well,, the 500/1 will only give you 250wRMS per sub.
great amp but still underpowered for two 700 watt subs.

a JBL bp1200.1 is just what you need to feed those puppies.
I think someone here is selling one new in fact.. I recall a thread selling a JBL. May be worth a look.

Post Number: 7
Alright guys , Another propasal, you know how i was saying that i had the power acoustic lt9800/2 and you said that two both subs it was like 440 rms well , i thought about just getting two of those amplifiers and putting one amp to one sub and the same for both subs . What do you guys think bout that? , Glass? , well i dunno the amp is 980 watts i belive so yeah tell me what you think and how many watts it would be pushin.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 262
it's a pretty good setup, not the best, but good enough. If you haven't purcahsed those amps yet, hold off. We can suggest a lot better stuff to buy and most likely save you some money as well.

Post Number: 8
Alright, well what wattage would each sub be pushin if i did just put one amp to one sub ?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 272
Actually, now I'm not sure of the set up. You can either wire each of the subs at 2 or 8ohms. You can't bridge that amp at 2ohms and at 8ohms it'll hardly move. Have you already purchased the amp? I actually don't see any possible way to do this unless you leave off one of the coils on each sub, not sure if this is appropriate. Glass?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6974
I wouldn't own anything by power acoustik, nor would I recommend any of it, so my suggestion is still to sell the one you have, and instead of buying another bad amp, spend about $200-250 and buy the JBL 1200.1
that'd solve all of your problems.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6975
and do NOT run DVC subs on only one coil.
bad, bad idea.

Post Number: 9
Alright guys, well this kinda sucks lol, so why wouldnt the acoustik amp to sub work?

980W peak power, bridged
560W RMS (continuous) x 1
280W RMS (continuous) x 2 @ 2 ohms
220W RMS (continuous) x 2 @ 4 ohms
Continuous Watts per Channel (4 Ohms) 220
Continuous Watts per Channel (2 Ohms) 280
Continuous Watts Bridged 980

If i had one amp to one sub wouldnt that be 560w rms? or what? and gemme some sites for amps that i could get

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 279
220W for those subs will do nothing, you'll be extremely disappointed. Do as Glass said, sell that amp and get the JBL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
alrgiht,, hmm what bout legacy's ? i got one here that good price / wattage ,but like i dunno bout quality .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i need some fast input , b/c i did by my acoustik amp already and im seeing whats going on so i can return it and what to get so yeah ,, hmm etronics.com is a site ive used im lookin on it now , just needa know some brands that would be good if someone would check the site out maybe and see what they got that would work for me that woudl be great.. im lookin for like atleast around 500rms per sub .. alright thanks.. i found a nice legacy but i dunno bout the quality of them

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 282
Glass has already advised you. JBL 1200.1 or GTO1200.1. Also, kicker 1200.1. Audiobahns cost a little less and i do recommend.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
k But anything from etronics.com ?.. and legacys you know anyhthing about them and there quality? ,Also JBL's cost like 700 dollars and i aint going there. K i looked at the Kicker 1200.1 that would put each speaker at like 600watts correct? and what are the prices lookin at on those amps?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Hmm im not really lookin for the 1gauge wiring... anything else that you guys know of that would help me out?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
k But anything from etronics.com ?.. and legacys you know anyhthing about them and there quality? ,Also JBL's cost like 700 dollars and i aint going there. K i looked at the Kicker 1200.1 that would put each speaker at like 600watts correct? and what are the prices lookin at on those amps? Hmm im not really lookin for the 1gauge wiring... anything else that you guys know of that would help me out?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6996
please stop e-mailing me with the same questions you're asking here in this thread.
I'm not answering you twice, and my profile asks people not to privately e-mail me with audio questions.
particularly when I already spend about 3 hours a day here helping.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 284
This should be the 2nd to last message on this thread. Kicker KX1200.1 is $400 shipped on eBay, is that better? If you buy from a seller with PayPal buyer protection, you have nothing to lose. Another choice for $100 less is audiobahn A1300HCT, which would give you about the same power as the kicker. Looking at anything below $300 you're going to underpower your subs. You should've thought about the amp and the budget before buying power hungry subs like these. There're almost no other options for you. The last message of the thread should have you saying that you understand the situation and the advice. If you can't afford $300 right now I suggest you wait and get it right instead of rushing into it and not getting performance you expect.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2895
James, you can find a JBL 1200.1 on ebay for under $300 bucks easily. It puts out over 1200W RMS into either 2 or 1 ohms, and is a solid, reliable amp. It's also pretty much the cheapest good amp you'll find. Legacys are poor quality.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 286
I didn't remember that amp is cheaper. Well, hurry up and bid on it!

jimbo911
Unregistered guest
wow...i just have to say.....James, your a f*ckin moron. how many times can you ask the same question over and over? try sounddomain.com that might be a better forum for you:D

Silver Member
Username: Djeter108

IN USA

Post Number: 109
shut the f*ck up. this forum is here to help people. go hang yourself

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Alright f*ck you jimbo911 , unregestired nub, thank you djeter108 , and as for Glass , and oleg ni Thank you very much ,

Wiked Smokers 4 Life~
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us