Which amp to buy. GLasswolf please help a newbie

Username: Sachinsoni

Post Number: 1
Hi Glasswolf/Other Gurus,

I am in process of setting up my car audio system in my 99 Camry. I don't want anything too loud since I am not going to pound by subs really hard. Here is what I have bought:
1. MTX Thunder8000 10" subwoofer with a Ported with Vent subwoofer enclosure. Impedance of woofer is 4 ohms, 400RMS and 800 peak power. SUb has 2 1/2", high-temp, 4-layer voice coil.
2. I am looking to purchase an amplifier for this setup.

I talked to a car installation guy and he suggested I go with a 4 channel amp, so I can use 2 channels to power my front speakers/tweeters and use the other two channels to power the sub. He said this would sound crisp and would be very clear since I wasn't looking for really big bass but just clear sound. What kind of amplifier would suit me. I am looking at an MTX304. Any suggestions as to what I should get?? Please help me. Also, would like to know what kind of wiring to get?

P.S: I am using an Alpine 9815 head unit with factory speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6890
I'd look maybe at a Kicker KX600.4 or 800.4
the 800.4 would give you the full 400wRMS x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged for the sub, and 100wRMS x 2 for the fronts. If you go that route, I'd upgrade at least the front stage speakers to something rated to take that power, like some nice separates.
you want a good front stage anyway.

the 600.4 is 75x4 @ 4 ohms. the 800.4 is 100x4 @ 4 ohms

Post Number: 2
FIrst of all wish you all a Merry Christmas. Thanks for your reply Glasswolf.

I am looking to spend around $150-200 for the amp. I am hoping that I can get some nice deal on ebay for an older amp which I can use in my system, thats why I mentioned the MTX304 (http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/thunder304.cfm). How is this one for my system? or the THunder 6304. OR maybe Glasswolf, you can give me the older Kickers whcih would suit my system so I can buy it used from someone, that would be great as well. And, which gauge wire do I use. What front speakers like you mentioned I should get?

Post Number: 3
Please help.. Anyone.. Any links to cheap amps for my system, looking to spend around 150$ incl of shipping...

Username: Metalgearsolid

NJ

Post Number: 6
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64571%26item%3D5740038672 %26

this seems to solve your problem. price is $150. just 24 bucks for shippping.look at the spec. nothing to complain.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for that Solid Snake, however this is a single channel. I was looking for a 4 channel amp and in any case is Audiobahn good?? I've read that Audiobahn is not a good amp.. Comments... Anyone?

Post Number: 5
Also guys, what about a Kicker refurb. Check this out?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5739579200&fromMakeTrack= true

Do you think Kicker refurbs are as good as their originals? What do you say? should I buy these or not?

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 297
dont see the link. anyway audiobahn-not good. kicker-good. refurb should be alright.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2876
The refurbs are just as good as the originals. Amps are done with circuit boards, they're pretty much modular besides simple external connections such as power wire and RCA connections. When you get a refurb'd amp, they're giving you a brand new amp in a used case, basically.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the response guys. I guess I'm going with the kicker 800 just as Glass suggested.

Glass also mentioned that I should change my front speakers since fs the real deal. What kind of speakers should I go for in the front. I'm looking for cheap and good quality.. Suggestions please.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6911
infinity kappa or kappa perfect separates would work.
the perfects are about $200 new on ebay. the kappas are less.

Post Number: 7
Glass,

What kind of power should I buy the Kappas for? I mean can you give me the specs of what to look for.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us