Bass boost on components?

SnowPants_
Unregistered guest
How would an amp with bass boost capability work with component speakers? I mean is it bad..good? Would the components be better off being powered by an amp without this ability?

PS. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO U GUYS! :D

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6831
bass boost on an amp is usually at about 40Hz.
components roll off naturally at about 12dB/octave from around 100Hz, so the problem you'll encounter is basically that components will bottom out and distort if you use the bass boost circuit on them.
your best bet is to use bass blockers or a HPF on the amplifier to block frequencies below about 100-125Hz from components and let the subs alone handle the bass, setting sub LPF crossovers to about 60-80Hz.
the natural rolloff of both subs and components will cover any gap in the frequencies, so the overlap will make up for that, and it'll blend smoothly.

SnowPants_
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the explaination..i get it :-)
What wuld u recommend doing for a system with just one set of components? What sort of features in an amp shuld i look for if all im going to use it for is powering a set of front comps.?
(P.S. I dont have a sub yet)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6941
you want a class AB amplifie with a high-pass filter built in.
that's about it.

Bronze Member
Username: Bnh142

Post Number: 44
Glasswolf, why do you set the crossover of the sub at around 80- HZ and the components at 100+ HZ? What happens to the 80-100 HZ frequencies? Does this result a flat response idealy?

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 296
The reason he sugest to set them apart is because the crossover point isn't an actual cut off. Both speakers will be playing those frequencies, however they will get quieter as they get farther away from the crossover point. Since you have 4 speakers instead of 2 playing those frequencies you don't need them to play as loud to get an over all flat responce. I am sure glass can explain in more detail.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6970
nicely put.

yes it's called "roll off." With the gap between the mids and the subs, the roll offs will overlap and there won't be any noticeable loss. The response till remain flat and seamless.
If you overlapped or met the crossover points, you'd end up with both the mids and subs hitting that narrow overlap point at the same time, and it'd feel overly accentuated or too warm or boomy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us