Have Kenwood amp

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 287
ok i have a kenwood amp. KAX-626. I believe it runs at 50w x 2 @ 4. what would be some very good 6.5" co-axials that will run good off of 50w? i have heard of the infinity kappas but that is the only one and i would like some variety. thanks. also cost is very much an issue.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6828
got a budget in mind?

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 288
hmm. anywhere between $50 to maybe $150. im not looking for anything IASCA Competition level but something good enough to sound great with those being the only speakers in my car and give me some decent mid range bass as the ones i have no sound like crap in the 100hz range. dont know if i will get anything good enough but gimmi a few ;)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6855
Infinity Kappa (etronics.com)
CDT Classics (thezeb.com)
boston acoustics
mb quart
alpine type R

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 289
ok here are the 6.5" coaxials i have found from those companies. which one do you think would be the best in sound quality and low end. i do have a sub but i would like to get a nice smooth transition there also. if you give me a reason why or why not on the speakers you selected that would be even better. thanks alot glass.

Boston Acoustics FX7
MB Quart DKE 116
Alpine Type R
Infinity Kappa 62.5i (or 63.5 - this is the 2-way. heard 3-way is overrated?)
CDT Audio CL-6X (not sure if these are the "classics")

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 290
side note. what size is a remote wire? as in the gauge of the wire.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6876
man, any of those would be good speakers.. that's one where you'd be better off auditioning at least a few of them and seeing which sound you prefer.
they'll all have their own particular sound, and different people prefer different types of sound. some warmer, some brighter, etc.
the alpine and infinity ones will be brighter and probably offer better low end response too.
the BosAc and CDTs will be smoother and more natural.

a remote wire is low current (500mV) +12VDC.
anything between about 22-18AWG is all you need.
a lot of car audio RCA cables even have the remoe wire molded in between the L and R RCA lines now so you don't need to run another wire.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 291
ok sweet thanks ALOT glass. i will try to audition them but it will be hard as here in Saginaw there are not many dealers besides i know of 1 person that carries Alpine and 1 that might have Infinity. ok the reason i asked about the remote wire was b/c 1 i am going to buy some 4 channel rca cables from knukonceptz w/o remote wire and 2. b/c i am going to be installing a switch in the remote so i can turn on/off the sub amp but i will have to somehow split the remote wire into 2 wires b4 the switch. what do you think the best way to do that is? just slpice in and attach another wire to it/?

thanks again ur always really helpful

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6881
take a trip to Lansing.
hit CC and BB. they carry several of those brands, and the rest you could find at small local higher end shops I'd bet.

Lansing isn't *that* far away from you. Hell, I had to go to Saginaw from Ludington just to audition a pair of home speakers at the Listening Room there. They were the closest Martin Logan dealer I could find.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6882
oh and if that's just for 2 amps, yeah just splice the wire.
if you run more than about 3 devices from a REM trigger I'd go to using a relay just to avoid overloading the head unit's REM circuit.
2 amps is fine.
if the head unit has a subwoofer pre-out you could see if you can disable subs from the head unit itself, which would save the need for the switch.
I know Alpines have a "SubW on/off" function

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 292
oh ok. yea i will check when i buy my new HU. what do you think about Clarion HUs?? There is an Alpine dealer here that used to sell Clarion. They have 1 that has 3 pre-outs and mp3 capability. its 170. didnt get the model number last time i was in there. would you buy that or from internet/ebay?

yea i dont know if i will take a trip to lansing. 17-already poor ;) maybe this summer

thanks wolf..where do you live by the way? Ludington?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6894
close to ludington.
hey try Flint too. that's pretty close to you and there are plenty of big stores there.

Clarion makes very good head units.
their website should have the specs on the one you saw, if ya call and get the model # from the shop

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 293
cool thanks alot. do you know of any car audio shows in michigan? i have looked online and havent seen any but i was thinking there are probably some big local ones. any where i could see a lot of cool car systems? always wanted to check that out.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 294
also i was looking into replacing my big 3. i noticed i have a + wire going from my battery to my starter. should that be replaced with 4 gauge also? and i dont know where my wire from battery to alternator is or motor to ground.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 298
its a 93 nissan maxima.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6940
starter doesn't matter.
the other three do.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 323
hey glass sry to bring this back up... what style of speakers do you think would fit best with rap? that is the kind of music I listen too. i think i kind of understand what you mean about bright but im not sure. if i do then i dont want that. the thing is i have an old pair of alpine 6.5"s co-axs and i have to turn down the treble on my HU because at high volumes there is a very irritating loud "high pitch" noise. hard to explain but i dont like it. i would like the lower end on the speakers though just not sure if that would sound best with rap or not. thanks.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 324
bumpin...didnt show as new

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7130
by bright I meant the treble is accentuated more than would be "natural" but some people like that, and use an inverse bell curve for EQing most systems to bring up the treble and bass a bit.
this is common because it fits to the natural response of human hearing, since we're most sensitive in what would be considered the upper midrange area and not so much at the extremes either direction.
as for the best speakers, that'd be up to your own ears. best to audition them before choosing.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 325
ok ill try that. i might be taking a trip down to lansing with my sister soon so thats cool. thanks buddy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us