Mtx amps

Username: Enufznuf

Denison, TX US

Post Number: 1
I have a MTX thunder 502 amp pushing two JLwo 10s. My question is why do I have to turn the gain all the way up to push them? Anything less and it sounds like there is only a 25w amp on them.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6799
are these 10W0 subs 4 ohms each?
one sub on each channel?

how is your LPF on the amp set?
what make/model head unit is it connected to, and are you running the amp on the head unit's subwoofer pre-outs or full range pre-outs?
what sort of enclosure are the subs in?

Denison, TX US

Post Number: 2
the subs are 8 ohms but are paralel and the amp is brigged but the manual said only to 4 ohms. Thats the reason for the 8 ohms speakers which are set in a sealed box that is exactly 1 cubic foot for each speaker. I have the low pass frequency between half way and a quarter of the way. The amp is connected to the sub out put from head unit. HU is a panasonic CQ-C5410U.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6810
sounds pretty straight forward. each sub should be getting about 250 watts RMS.
it's possible it's an issue with the enclosure.. is the box square? is one side angled at all?

Denison, TX US

Post Number: 3
Yes, the front is angled. Top side is 6.5" and the bottom is 10" so the angle is not that drastic. My thoughts was that MTX amps suck but sounds like you might have some insight. My friend talked me into getting it, he said MTX were good amps. Im a little old school my old system had two Orion xtr 12" and had an Orion red amp that would kick the crap out of any MTX amp Ive heard and Ive heard a few. These dumb kids these days never heard of Orion.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6817
heh the old HCCA series amps were great.
I hope you at last kept that amp haha
the MTX amplifeirs really are good amps, and that one can deliver quite a bit of power.
it sounds like it's a wiring issue to me still.. be that a bad ground point for the amp, of a weak line voltage signal due to some setting on the head unit maybe, or even the bridged wiring being done improperly, like using the wrong leads or something.
that's one I'd have an easier time finding if I saw it first hand.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6818
by the way I still like the old orion stuff.
my current car is using three of the 2250SX orion amps (the fan cooled big ones) along with an older orion preamp, crossover, and bridging module.
an orion battery regulator, and a few other odds and ends.

Denison, TX US

Post Number: 5
Well thanks for your help thought I would throw it at someone else see what they thought. I will go over the wiring again but I am pretty sure left+ right- should be right, maybe I have the wrong channels left+ Ill check it out. How do you feel about these JL woofers GlassWolf?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6832
the 10W0?
it's a low power, low excursion entry level sub.
they are well made. their power handling ratings should be followed closely as overpowering a W0 even a bit usually results in coil damage.
just something to keep in mind. don't feed em more than 150wRMS each or so.

for the price, which is usually around $100-150 each, I can find better subs, but it's also a matter of how much power you can afford to feed them, too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us