Wattage to sub

Bronze Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 40
i just bought an alpine mrd m1001 and i was gonna run my 15' type r with it temporarily untill i get my 12s in.. anyway how do you control how much wattage goes to the sub? is it simply how loud u turn up the volume?

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 649
you control the wattage going to teh sub by your wiring configuration, turn the volume up does play an effect but i wouldn't reccomend running a sub thats rated at like 500rms with like 800rms of power, your just asking to hurt the sub...

Bronze Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 41
well i know they can take alot and alpine runs there civics 15's at 1000 rms i believe i wouldnt wanna crank that much in there but id like to get it up around 600- 700 the sub is a 4ohmdvc and would be wired to the amp at 2 ohms the amp puts out 1000 rms at that.. so is there no way to control the wattage? or just keep the volume down

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 651
yea pretty much, dont crank up the bass from your headunit controls and have self control, if you smell a burning rubber or bad hot wood smell, turn your system off...its your voice coils :-)

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6756
simply put, yes. you vary power to the sub (signal amplitude) with the volume control.
every time you audibly double the volume, you're increasing power by about a factor of ten.

that's RMS usage. since music is dynamic, transient peak demands that last for a brief moment can draw over four times the RMS power rating. not that this really has any bearing on your question.

Bronze Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 43
speaking of burning rubber when i first hooked up my 12 Type S subs i didnt really have a clue how things work and i think i wired them at half an ohm to the jl500/1 after i herd some horible beep sounds-is this clipping? i took the subs out and they were pretty hot and it smelled like burnt rubber and stuff in there the seemed to still work after tho.. are these subs damaged?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us