JL e4300 with ECLI 8454 and JL 10 sub: good ? bad?

Username: Larkin

Post Number: 1
Hi all. (1st post). Thanks for checking this out,

I am buying my first system. I got a Saturn SC1 2000 and after a day of researching, etc, this is the setup i'm thinking of going for.

HU: ECLIPSE 8454 ($544)
although i'm thinking of maybe going for alpine 9835 instead since i can get that for cheaper ($350) off the internet. thoughts?
AMP: JL E4300 ($250)
SPEAKERS: 4 Eclipse ($124)
SUB: JL 10' dual coil ($150)

The dude at the caraudio store said the amp would power the front speakers and sub and the HU would power the rear speakers. Any probs with this?

I'm wanting to get this soon but I'm not sure if this setup is good. Any glaring defects setup or price wise?

Also any continued discussion on eclipse vs alpine? from what i've read, the idea is that eclipse is superior to alpine in pure sound quality. Although, with the setup i have listed above, maybe the difference i'd hear isn't worth the $200 extra?

salutations -
Zach

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 277
Sounds good Zach. I like the deck you are going with. My only sugestion (if you want a little better sound) Is drop the rear speakers and go with a nice component set for the front. Eclipse and Jl both have sets right around your price range that will work nicely. Here is a link that will help you understand why I say drop the rear speakers. www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html

All in all you have a nice set up. Especially for a starter system.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 278
Oh I forgot. If you do go with a component set that you can biamp, you can always by a seprate amp for your sub, and use the four chanel amp to biamp the components. With the eclipse deck this will give you alot more control for your front soundstage giving you noticably better sound.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6718
those are the 10W0 subs?
for $150 you can get better subs.
JL's entry level stuff is mostly aimed at low power setups where space is cramped.
for $125 each you can get adire shiva 12" subs that would be on par with something like an alpine type R 12"
much more ballsy for the price.
amazing SQ too
the head, amp, and components are great though. good taste

the rear fill is handy if ya keep friends in the back seats a lot, just try to keep them to 2-way coaxials or something.. you don't want them too bright, so from the front you won't hear them.

Username: Larkin

Post Number: 2
JeremyC: thanks, i read the article. I'll look in to that and at least make sure to keep the rears at a minimum

Glass: The sub is 10W3V2-D6, i'll check out the shivas. Thanks, i'm glad it all checks out.

As for Eclipse vs Alpine, i suspect I'll be happy with the extra quality of Eclipse for the money.

I live in worcester,MA but I'm in Denver, CO right now, where i'll be buying the equip. Any recommendations on a good installer in Mass? I'm staying clear of Besbuy!

Zach

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6761
haha I used to go up to Worchester, Ma to the 4H club there once a year for a native american thing that was up there.. been ages since I went though.
I used to know some folks up there.

anyway, don't know any local shops there so can't help much on that count.
the W3v2 is a much better sub than the W0, so the Shivas would be good, but the W3v2s are good too.
that'd be personal preference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us