Powering components by head unit

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 170
I'm ready to get my friend's stereo hooked up and have a dilemma. There's 1 amp, kicker kx350.4 which is 90W x 4 @ 2ohm stereo and 175W x 2 @ 4ohm bridged mono. The components are kicker k65.2, 75W RMS. Head unit will be ~25W rms/channel. The subs are 2 older MTX, Thunder 2000, 200W rms SVC 4ohm.
The question is, would it work out better to run the components off the head unit and dedicate the amp to the subs? Or should we do 2 channels for subs and 2 channels for components? Thanks all.

Bronze Member
Username: Ids

Post Number: 35
honestly i have perfect 6.1s and and a alpine 9831 i had em amped with a mrvt320 alpine. they SOUNDED SO DAMN GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. then i got a JL12W3V2 and i couldnt leave it alone so i amped it with that amp abovce and put my components to deck let me tell u it sounds so bad the SQ is GONE. honestly if you can run the amps and subs off the one amp if you can. i hate it so m uch im giving my amp back to the components and just bougha new amp for my sub ... if you can tell your friend to buy a like a 80US amp off ebay anything that does 80RMS*2 should be fine even a used one will work its going to be well worth it.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6593
I'd use the amp just for the subs in this case.
they'll need the bridged power to sound half way decent.
the head unit can handle the components until your friend can afford a second amp

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 180
Halfway decent because they'll be underpowered or because the subs themselves aren't too great?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6603
well with only 90 watts each they won't do much.
with 175 each at least they'll move some air.
granted they aren't the best subs, but regardless, for the motor strength to allow for control of the subs for decent performance and detail, you need to give them adequate power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us