Setting Gain

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 278
ok i have a 50hz test tone cd. an ac / dc voltmeter. what setting on my meter should i use to test the voltage? 20 DC? here is a link to the one i have http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F011%5F008%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=22%2D810#

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2783
Set the meter to AC, (true RMS would be preferred, but not required) and the 200V scale in your case. Also, ideally you'd use a 4 ohm or 2 ohm resistor to get more accurate results.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 279
ok i tested it. i was running it at about 30volume. i usually run my car between 20-30

i couldnt get the voltage to get over 20 with the gain all the way up. i run a 300 watt amp at 2 ohms. 300x2=600 sq rt of 600 is about 24.5 and i couldnt even get that at max gain. should i first do the gains on my amp going to my speakers?? how would i test that?? i have a RF 60ix i think it is 30watts x 2 at 4ohms. what voltage would that be i dont quite understand the multi channel and bridged math on this yet.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2788
What kind of 300 watt amp is this? That isn't a peak value, is it? How high can your head unit go with the volume, it should be at least 3/4 of the max volume. Also, if you're running a subwoofer preout, do you have the level all the way down, or up? If it's an Alpine head unit, make sure to set the sub level to at least 12 before making your reading. Also, do the reading when the car is on, that way the alternator will bring the supply voltage up, and do not do the reading when a speaker/sub is connected. That's why I recommended a dummy resistor, a speaker is a reactive load, meaning the impedance will change with frequency, and if your speaker was higher than 4 ohms at 50 hz, then you will get a lower reading. As far as that RF 60ix amplifier, being 30 watts at 4 ohms, it should read around 10.95 volts on each channel.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 280
ok now its not peak. its a mtx 311d. i had the car on. i unplugged the positive to the sub. i had a 50hz tone running. its a 4minute track of just a 50hz tone. i dont know how to change the sub level out. i just turn all the bass to 0 and loud off. i can turn the volume higher to about 40 if i want i think it goes to 45. ill set the RF first. thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us