Another Alternator Question

Bronze Member
Username: Malby7

Post Number: 99
I wasn't really sure about the calculations but from what I could determine from the following amps JL Audio 300/4 & 500/1 I got an 85amp draw. That's including taking efficiency into affect. From what I hear the stock 2000 Ford Focus alternator puts out 110 Amps. Will the extra 25 amps left be enought to run all the car's electrical components (A/C, headlights, power windows), or do I need to upgrade it? Also could you have too big of an alternator?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 872
No Michael, an alternator's output will depend on the current draw. It will only put out enough power to cover the requirement. So you can install a 200A and only use 60A.
I'd be surprised if Ford Focus models came with 110A alternators.
The best way to determine the power for heater/AC/headlights etc is to look at the fuse box. It doesn't mean the devices will actually draw the numbers listed, but it may. That should give you some idea about their power usage.
If you need a place to buy HO alternators, try 4alterstart.com. I got mine from there.

Bronze Member
Username: Malby7

Post Number: 100
Well according to www.4alterstart.com here's the details on the stock alternator:

http://verizonsupersite.com/4alterstartcom/pages/store/skudetail.nhtml?profile=a lternators&uid=11992&returnURL=http%3A//verizonsupersite.com/4alterstartcom/page s/common/sitesearch.nhtml%3Fquery%3Dfocus&catuid=10155

So in your professional opinion what should I do about my car and the stereo system inside it?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 878
Hey Michael, if you need a higher current alternator, you can call them. Sometimes they only list the popular models.
As for your stereo system, after you get the alternator upgraded along with a capacitor, you should be fine.

Username: Hiamps

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 1
Michael , if you need a HO alternator for your car just send me a email autoelectricpart@aol.com.
We have very good price and quality.
ALDo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us