Port tuning???

TopJimmyJumps
Unregistered guest
I have a JL Audio sub (10w3v2). I built a ported enclosure per the JL audio documentation dimensions. Along with the dimensions it says "Recommended Port Tuning: 33.7 Hz"

What is this referring to, and how do I go about "setting" this value, if that's what I'm supposed to do. Is it something on my JL Audio amp?

If nobody knows, that's okay, I'll call JL tech support on Monday, but would like to keep going on this tonight while I'm on a roll.

Thanks in advance.

TopJimmyJumps
Unregistered guest
Looks like nobody knows? Bah. Okay. Thanks anyway, I'll call JL in the morning.

Silver Member
Username: Fryguy

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 404
Port tuning is simply selecting a proper sized port for the speaker enclosure and speaker. The port can increase output at a certain frequency in a similar way to blowing across the opening of a bottle makes a noise at a certain pitch (It's a basic explanation, no flames about this theory please). Change the volume inside the port by increasing the diameter or length and the frequency goes down. You'll need to calculate it for your own custom box and speaker to get the best outcome.

TopJimmyJumps
Unregistered guest
Thanks. So, when they said that port tuning was at 33.7hz on the blueprints for the suggested ported box (in the sub docs), they meant...

"If you build this box exactly with these dimensions, the port is already tuned at 33.7hz, meaning you'll get an increase at the response/volume for that frequency."

Here's the document that I'm referring to.

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/10W3v2_MAN.pdf

Notice the section where they spec a ported box dimensions. I have built that box. If I understand you correctly, I need not do anything or set anything on my sub's amp related to this. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Is that a correct translation?

Silver Member
Username: Fryguy

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 416
That document is for a slot port box so if you built it to the specs in the document your fine. They already did the math for the proper box size for that speaker, so you should be in good shape.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us