Opinions on the MTX 1501.D

Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 2
I am wondering if this is a good amp or not. Reliable? Does it deliver the ratings they claim? Are their any weird quirks (i.e. protection mode kicks at strange times)?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6349
great amplifiers. very reliable. slightly underrated actually.
their birth sheet is usually a bit higher than the 'advertised' power ratings.

good choice.

Michigan USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks Glass Wolf I have now become the proud owner of a 1501D amp...got it off ebay for $205.50 used.

Bronze Member
Username: Dnizzle

Raleigh, NC USA

Post Number: 23
Just look at what the pros use. This year in the finals, the top 3 winners used Rockford, MTX, and Orion amps.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6378
yes. because those 3 companies sponsored the winners in the pro circuit.
In reality, there are far far better companies out there than the three listed above. Especially if you're talking about orion post-DEI takeover.
The difference is that most of the really high end companies don't throw their products at competitors to get their names plastered all over everything.
If event winners really use the best equipment, then God help us all, because one of the current top SPL event records is held by a kid and his father who ran all Audiobahn gear.
Another one used "American Bass"

just be careful and don't always think that what pros use make it the best. I've seen people take first place using Sony amps and subs, too. Now that's scary.

Bronze Member
Username: Dnizzle

Raleigh, NC USA

Post Number: 24
Good point Glass. The other day I talked to a guy from a shop who has the world record in extreme 1 (i think) and he used 4 1501d's on his sub. And no, he isn't sponsered by MTX or anybody esle for that matter. He also recommended team RF stuff.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6433
both are pretty good products. the new RF stuff is nice. Their amps have always been pretty reliable, just not always what I'd call my top choices. I like MTX's amps too.
I just didn't want folks to get too swayed by looking at what pro competitors use in systems, because many times people use what their factory sponsors hand them. Sort of like watching TV commercials and thinking a product must be good because so and so on some football team is holding it or talking about it.
Same idea.

Unregistered guest
I am thinking of running 2 audiobahn ten's aw-1005q. which amp would be a better amp. the audiobahn 2300hct or the directed audio 2400d amplifier.

j-ro
Unregistered guest
I personally have the mtx 1501.d and I believe it sucks. I've seen a pyle 1400 peak power amp beat this amp. I'm pushing to hifonics 15's and got beat by 2 12 kicker comp. I do not recommned this amp to anyone unless u are using mtx subwoofer's I guess.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6477
that could be due to the choice in subs, the enclosure, system tuning, etc.
I've seen that amplifier drive subs very well.
I think your problem lies elsewhere.

just out of curiosity, is j-ro like a Japanese Jennifer Lopez?

j-ro
Unregistered guest
I am driving it with a kenwood exceleon cd player, a pheonix gold line driver, with 2 hifonics 15 in a sealed box, bridged. I believe it is my pairing of the subs with this amp because befor I had the jl w7 and it still sucked. That's why I said watch what you pair it with, it might turn out to be a great amp.

GlassWolf J-ro is a nickname I received in high school because my first and last name went well with this like it did for J-Lo.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6501
haha
it just sounded funny at the time.. J-Ro.. the Japanese J-Lo.

guess I spent too long over there.
what were the enclosure specs on that W7?
was it a 13W7?

j-ro
Unregistered guest
I had the w7 in the prowedge sent by jl audio themselves and it was the 12. The ohm impendance wasn't right I believe.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 549
... my initials are J-Lo....

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6526
lol

ah, that may be the problem.. that it was just underpowered. the W7 is a 3 ohm sub, whioch makes it a pain to match to any other amps usually.

Michigan USA

Post Number: 4
Ok I have the amp installed (somewhat). I am having problems however...when I have the gain all the way down it makes a consistent bass note...then as I turn the gain up I get about a 1/4 of the way and it sounds good until...it starts hicuping. sounds like thump....thump....thump. I could really use help on this one. The only thig I see is maybe a thicker power wire...which MTX's site calls for...but only one thing...a stock vehicle such as mine only has a 4 guage possitive/ground wire right? So what difference would 0/1 over 4 make? Sorry I am not a proffesional by anymeans but can't see how ESPECIALLY the ground is going to get "more juice" through the same guage. I am thinking now that I should have got the 801d instead...bigger is not always better.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 572
sounds to me like you're getting round noise, do you have your power wire and your rca's running down the same side of your car? If so you may (strongly advised) to change that.

Michigan USA

Post Number: 5
No I don't have the wires on the same side. My install all starts in the back portion of the vehicle. I have a line-level converter attached to the 6X9 output...I am still using the stock Monsoon head unit (will not be changing anytime soon).

However I think what I need for the hum or consistent bass note is a ground loop isolater...I was thinking about it and remembered when I was a teenager using one to eliminater the sound of the engine in the speakers...so I tried driving the car and sure enough there it was the engine revs comming through the subs.

I still need help on the power thing though Glasswolf or somebody who can help me please respond.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6539
val, the size of power wire used or required is based on two factors:
1: the amount of current it carries, and
2: the length of the run.
The longer the cable is, the larger it needs to be to handle the same amount of current, so you may need 0ga from the battery back to the amplifier, but right at the amp you can split down to 4ga, and use 4ga for the ground cable as well, since the 4ga lines will be maybe a foot long, but the amin run of 0ga could be as much as 20 feet long.
You also need to use the larger gauge cable to run from the motor to ground, alternator to battery, and battery to ground for the system to function ideally.
Most factory wiring, even for the alternator and battery cables, is only about 8ga. These are the fist things to consider upgrading when doing a large system.
Also, you can replace the battery cable terminals with new car audio versions that are gold or platinum plated to resist electrolysis and corrosion, as well as being designed to accept larger cable sizes, up to 0ga. They usually don't cost much to upgrade from sites like knukonceptz.com or partsexpress.com

as for the sound you're hearing from your amp, it sounds like either a bad ground cable, an improperly wired speaker, or lastly, perhaps a faulty amplifier.
First guess is the ground.

Anonymous

i have a question. which is a better amp..the mtx 1501 or the kicker 1200..please tell me..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us