Remote wire installation

Anonymous

I had question about the remote wire on amp.
I have factory HU on my car and I'm not sure if it have amp remote wire. and if not can I connect the wire to power antena wire to do the job? and if I use either of the wire doe it mean the amp will the turned off when I turn off the HU? I know this probably seem silly for all of you who know about it, but I would like to find out before I do this.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6354
actually, check the amplifier's manual. if you use the high or speaker level inputs built into the amp, it may support 'auto-on sensing' that turns teh amp on when it senses a signal on the input wires from the radio, requiring no REM wire to be used.

If it doesn't do this, you don't want to use the pwr antenna line on the radio as that only sends 12 volts when the radio is on, and not the CD or tape. Use a switched ignition wire for the REM trigger, thus the amp will turn on when the keys are in and turned to ACC or START at the column.
that's the best way I could suggest to wire an amp to a factory radio.

Bronze Member
Username: Protrex

Post Number: 24
PAC Audio also makes some excellent "trigger sensors" which sense the voltage on the speakers and will trigger the remote wire on the amp. Good product, I bought one to put in my friend's Taurus. He had two amps, one for the subs and one for the speakers, I split the output of the trigger wire and ran one side through a switch and to the sub amp then ran the other side directly to the speaker amp. Now he can turn off his subs if he is driving somewhere and wants them off.

Good luck,
Jamie

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6363
there ya go
www.pac-audio.com
or www.autotoys.com sells their stuff.

Anonymous

Thank you, well I will be able to try this shortly then.
Again Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Fryguy

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 405
Just use the power antenna wire if you have it. That way the amp will only come on when the HU is turned on and save power (gas and amp life. (The remote just needs a constant ~+12 volts to hold the AMP on).

Note: You can place a switch in the line and place under the dash or on the driver's side door. That way you can manually turn the amp off if needed.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 252
Do not use the power antenna wire. Most radios only send voltage to the power antenna when you are listening to the radio. Which means, you can not listen to CDs.

Silver Member
Username: Fryguy

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 420
You'll need to test your head unit to see if that's true with yours. All the head units I have had send 12 volts any time the head unit power is on regardless of mode that it's in (CD/Tape/Radio etc). If you have a power antenna and its up all the time regardless of mode then your fine.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6381
this is a factory head unit.

every one I've seen in my 15 years as an installer has only sent signal for FM radio use.

Bronze Member
Username: Imstillhere

Michigan

Post Number: 31
buy a switch to turn it on and off ...now take the wire and put 1 end in the power wire and take that to the switch then take the other wire off the switch into the remote wire slot ....it works great

Anonymous

thanks for all the information. I will be enjoying some music in no time. Thanks again everyone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us