Coustic 400 watt amp

Username: Jmoney12rr

Post Number: 1
I just got my new 12" kicker comp Vrs today and we hooked them up to my friends 400 watt coustic amp which he is sellin me a little bit later, well anyways when we hooked them up they were hittin real hard and then all the sudden they got real quite and the amp protection light came on and then went back off..i put my ear next to the subs but i didnt hear any distortion..he has a stock battery so could that be why the light kept going on and off?

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 191
I forget, are comp vr's DVC or SVC? also, did you get them with 2 or 4ohms/coil? I haven't heard of coustic amps, but is it 2ohm stable? You may very well be running it at 1ohm. That'll cause a 2ohm stable amp to overheat really fast. If you keep doing that, the amp will blow quick. Also, if those 400W subs are hitting hard with a 400W amp(peak?) and are hitting hard, the amp may be clipping like none other!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6653
CVRs are dual 2 or dual 4 ohm
coustic's amps are 2 ohm stable, or if 2 channel, 4 ohm stable when bridged.
coustic rates their amps with RMS power. always have to my knowledge. I've sold and used their stuff since the late 80s
good entry level stuff
the CVRs are rated for up to 400wRMS each

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 196
Cool, thanks Glass. So how do you have them wired, Joey?

Post Number: 3
I have them wired in parallel givin me a load of 2 ohms. The friend who has this amp has 2 12" audio bahn q flames hooked up to that amp, but i know for a fact when he hooked up my subs to that amp he bridged them, so is that why it was doing that?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 201
Well, that seems iffy...either take the subs out and look, or ask your friend for sure. The only way you'll get a 2 ohm load out of those subs is if they're dual 2 ohm wire in series-parallel. Seriesed the coils and paralleled the subs. Did your friend do that? If it's parallel-parallel with 2ohm DVC, you get .5 ohm load, and 1ohm load with 4ohm DVC. See how they're really wired and compare to what I've said.

Post Number: 5
the coils are parralled for sure, i did that myself. When we hooked them to the amp though, he connected them so i dont know how he did it, i know it was a really weird way of doing it though. It was like the left positive on the amp goes to the left positive on the sub and the left negative went to the right sub. When he was doing that i asked him if he knew what he was doing and he said yea thats how his q flames were hooked up.That may sound crazy but i cant rememeber exactly how it went.

Post Number: 6
oh yea, there dual 4 ohms

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 205
That doesn't seem seriesed to me at all. He would've been right in knowing what he's doing if the amp was 1ohm stable, but it's not.
Since you paralleled the coils, you'll need to series the subs to get a 4ohm load and then bridge the amp. To series the subs, if the amp has 2 channels:
1. Connect pos of ch. 1 to pos of sub 1
2. Get another segment of speaker wire and run
it from the neg terminal of sub 1 to pos
terminal of sub 2.
3. Connect neg of ch. 2 to neg of sub 2 terminal.

Actually, this is the absolute only way to do it, except if you want an 8ohm load, where your subs will hardly move. So problem solved?

Post Number: 7
yea, problem solved. i know now that it was because the amp wasnt stable, i was kind of scared cause it thought it was clipping so, i can fix this now. Thanks alot man. I appreciate it

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 206
Yeah, pretty sure it was clipping. Let me know if it sounds alright with less current. With a 4ohm load, the amp is not going to provide a lot of current, so it's important not to push the amp below its limits @ 4ohms. Consider getting a 1ohm stable amp.

Post Number: 8
i have another question, i have an 8 gauge wire just laying around, but im gonna get a 4 gauge. Can i just use the fuse holder from the 8 gauge wire on the 4?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 208
Depends if the fuse holder has large enough holes to accept 4ga
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us